1. Learn at your own pace in this 20 week online course.
2. Artistic guidance & feedback from the artist herself.
3. Engaged & supportive community of peers to exchange feedback.
4. English subtitles (Original audio in Korean).
5. Enroll now to start learning right away!
A Character Drawing Class: Create Your Own World with a Ballpoint Pen
Get $50 off your first ‘On demand’ class
Buy One, Get One
We are offering this chance only to the first 100 classmates. Enjoy the promotion before it’s too late.
1. Learn at your own pace in this 20 week online course.
Hello, this is Bad Pharmacy.
I am a cartoonist and illustrator.
I have opened a class to teach those who have felt that drawing is complicated and difficult, as well as those who have difficulty in drawing with ballpoint pens. I will show you how to visualize your illustration and how to handle the ballpoint pen well.
Create your own world with a ballpoint pen
Vintage food illustrations emphasized the texture and appearance of food by exaggerating the crunchiness of bread or the glistening of ice cubes. You will learn to capture the same feeling in your own drawings by the end of this course.
When I was dreaming of being a cartoonist, tablets were a very expensive and foreign tool for me as a student. The ink and nibs felt too difficult and cumbersome, and the liner pens were too short.When you open the pencil case, everyone has a couple of pens, right? It is an easy-to-find tool, and that was one of the biggest reasons I chose the ballpoint pen as my tool.
Even though I started using a ballpoint pen because everyone has one and they could be easily purchased, the expressions I could use with a ballpoint pen were richer than I thought.
You can adjust the concentration at intervals of the line, and you can also adjust the strength and weakness with pen pressure. The ballpoint pen has a sharp and soft charm that is different from digital or pencil work.
A familiar but foreign friend, the ballpoint pen
The ballpoint pen. A tool that you can easily find in everyday life. But anyone who has ever painted with a ballpoint pen will know. I'm not a very good opponent.
The ballpoint pen is a tool whose results vary greatly depending on the angle of grasping, the force of drawing, and the direction. It has the disadvantage that it is difficult to control, but it also has the advantage that you can use it to create various effects.
In my class, you will gradually learn how to handle this familiar yet unfamiliar friend and the types of scenes you can draw with this tool.
Laying the foundation - How to draw figures
How to shape a character
All objects and the human body are transformations of basic shapes. If you dig up the details without laying the foundation, the picture becomes difficult and complicated, and loses its shape. I will show you from the simple form to the stacking and detailing to complete the figure.
Understanding the structure of your hair
Portraits with detail - Use the hands
The hand is the body part that humans use most, and it is also a means to express emotions. You can show tenderness with hands held together and strong hope with overlapping hands.
I will tell you how to draw hands well and how to express your emotions using hand poses.
Completing an illustration - Background and objects
It’s time to draw the good things you wrote before starting drawing. Let's draw the scenery and emotions of everyday life that you like and combine them with a character drawing. A very nice illustration will be completed.
If the picture feels complicated and difficult, let's start with an easier one. Draw a line, erase any parts you don't like, and try drawing again. Not everyone can draw well from scratch. But you will see yourself improving bit by bit. I can help.
I hope everyone who decides to take this class will learn how to draw and have fun.
I hope you will be able to find your own style, while recording and drawing things around you, your favorite photos, and your feelings. :)
Your own character world.
Ballpoint pen drawing with Bad Pharmacy
Step 01 : Using a Pen
In this class, we will focus on using a ballpoint pen. From drawing lines to adding contrast, learn the basics of ballpoint pen drawing.
Step 02 : Drawing Faces
Character faces are all about simplifying while also adding detail. Learn how to easily understand the shapes of the face, then add the facial features.
Step 03 : Drawing the Hair
Hair is often one of the most difficult aspects of character drawing. Learn how to naturally and gracefully express various types of hair.
Step 04 : Drawing at Different Angles
Angles are important because they can change the entire atmosphere of an illustration. Learn how to draw characters in different poses and angles.
Step 05 : Themed Illustrations
A background will help create the story of your characters. I’ll show you how to use the background and objects to complete a themed illustration
Step 06 : Drawing Your Emotions
Art is a medium in which we express ourselves. I’ll show you how to incorporate your feelings, thoughts, and memories into a special illustration that holds more meaning.
Welcome to Bad Pharmacy’s Pen Drawing Class
- Meet Bad Pharmacy: Illustrator, artist, and your instructor
- Introducing the class: Drawing detailed character illustrations with a pen
- Taking a look at the class package
01. Before We Start
- Observing objects and writing down your feelings
- Visualizing emotions and moods
- Observing photos in detail
- The most important mindset, confidence
02. The Basics of Ballpoint Pens
- The fundamentals of drawing lines
- Using lines - Concentration and contrast
- Using lines - Drawing at a tilt
- In practice - Drawing from referencing
03. Building a Strong Foundation
- Simplification - Circles, triangles, and squares
- The shape of the human body - Understanding the body using lines
- Starting croquis - Functions and proportions
- Croquis practice - Croquis with only a pen
04. Drawing the Face
- The theory of drawing detailed faces
- Drawing faces at various angles - Women
- Drawing faces at various angles - Men
- Hair - Figuring out the flow
- Drawing various hairstyles (1)
- Drawing various hairstyles (2)
- Drawing eyebrows, eyelashes, and lips
05. Adding Poses to Your Characters
- Understanding the movement of your hands, feet, arms, and legs
- Using the hands to create a mood
- The special atmosphere of a perspective from behind
- Expressing emotions using poses
06. Techniques and Details
- How to draw different types of clothes (1)
- How to draw different types of clothes (2)
- Expressing the wrinkles in clothing
- Expressing checkered and striped patterns (1)
- Expressing checkered and striped patterns (2)
07. Natural Objects and Background
- Drawing natural objects - Flowers
- Drawing natural objects - Trees
- Expressing perspective
- Drawing objects and a background
08. Drawing an Illustration with a Theme
- What picture do you want to draw? (1)
- What picture do you want to draw? (2)
- Completing an illustration using light and shadows
- Completing an illustration using natural objects
- Completing a whole illustration (1)
- Completing a whole illustration (2)
Bonus Chapter! Taking Your Illustration Digital
- Emotions and Facial expressions
- Scanning and editing
- Point coloring using glitter ink
Outro: Congratulations on finishing the class!
In closing: Bad Pharmacy’s parting thoughts
- People who were interested in portrait painting, but haven't tried it
- People who always feel as though their drawings are lacking something
- People who want to learn how to draw using a ballpoint pen
- People who want to learn a new, enriching hobby
- Sergio Artist Croquis book
- Tombow eraser
- 1 Signo Uniball ballpoint pen 0.28mm
- Mechanical pencil lead (H lead, HB lead)
- 2 Zebra Drafix Mechanical Pencils 0.5mm
- Joeum record book
- Class note printouts
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos on as many devices as you want.
We will send you the package before the release date(September 8th), if you have purchased the All-in-one package.
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase. Please check your inbox or spam!
Q. Can I use a ballpoint pen other than the one recommended?
A. If possible, draw a picture with the pen I recommend! I will explain all the techniques based on the Signo Uniball 0.28, and since the pressure and thickness of each ballpoint pen are very different, even if you understand and are able to master everything in class, you will get different results if the tools are different. I would appreciate it if you used the same ballpoint pen as me!
Q. I have never drawn with a ballpoint pen before. Will I be okay?
A. Those who are familiar with pencils, where you can simply erase mistakes, are often scared by the pen. It is a tool that creates line that cannot be erased once they are drawn, and are difficult to fix. However, the ballpoint pen is a tool that has more control than you may expect, and is more like a pencil than you think. In my class, I will teach you how to control the concentration and thickness with a ballpoint pen, and how to get along well with a ballpoint pen.