1. Go at your own pace in this 32-week online course
2. Artistic guidance & pointers from the instructor
3. Supportive peer community exchanging feedback
4. Class is in production. Start learning after Oct. 8
Create Retro Pixel Art and Video Game Assets in Photoshop
By. Nelson Wu
Buy One, Get One
We are offering this chance only to the first 100 classmates. Enjoy the promotion before it’s too late.
1. Go at your own pace in this 32-week online course
Learn the exact same process I use and my style of creating retro pixel art
Master working in Photoshop, pixellating photo references, and choosing interesting color combinations
Create your own original artworks throughout the course for personal or professional use
This course is for anyone who is interested in making pixel art whether for personal or professional use. I will cover the basics of making pixel art before doing more specific examples, while you follow along at home creating your own artworks by the end of the course.
Whether you are a beginner or have some experience in Photoshop, you will be able to follow along with the course easily by learning the same process that I use in my art step by step
Have you ever wanted to make pixel art for video games or animation? This course will guide you through the basics of creating pixel art from start to finish and turning it into a full-time job.
From setting up the program, conceptualizing and exploring the different tools available, creating unique color palettes, all the way to the final production, I’ll teach you how to start producing high quality assets for clients in the video game and animation industry.
By the end of this course, you will know how to create retro pixel art scenes, video game assets, and animate in photoshop. The skills I’m teaching will prepare you for working in the videogame industry and making assets related to that.
This course is structured so that you will create your own artworks from start to finish. If you follow along with the curriculum, you will have a variety of things you can put into your portfolio.
As a bonus I will also teach you how to take what you create and make a living from working in the video game industry or by selling your art online.
Step 1: Pixel Art in Photoshop
Photoshop is a really diverse program for pixel art with many tools to make the process easier. Learn the functions to draw pixel art efficiently by learning my step by step process and workflow. I will show you all of the tools and shortcuts I use to create pixel art in this program.
Step 2: Warmup with Creating Assets
Practicing making different items with multiple sizes and variations will help train you to think critically in designing items from scratch. Every pixel matters; I’ll show you how to translate your ideas into pixels.
Step 3: Making a Background Together
I’ll teach you how to use photo references to create your own background composition. I’ll guide you and talk through how I approach compositions and color palettes by starting with an image that we will turn into original pixel art.
Step 4: Making an Animation Together
I’ll teach you step by step how to bring a still image to life and create endless loops with your pixel art. We’ll start by planning the animation, all the way to exporting. This step will build on and combine all the prior knowlege you learned in the course.
Welcome to Pixel Art
1. Meet Your Instructor, Nelson (a.k.a instant_onion)
2. Introduction to the course
3. Introduction to Photoshop
Chapter 1: Pixel Art Basics in Photoshop
1. Setting up Photoshop for pixel art purposes
2. The rules and guidelines for making pixel art
3. Learn my method of digital painting
Chapter 2. Making Objects in Different Sizes
1. Researching reference images
2. Creating inventory items in different sizes
3. Using unique colours
Chapter 3. Making a Pixelated Background from a Photo
1. Finding and editing reference pictures for drawing
2. An easy way to do perspective in backgrounds
3. Setting up the composition
4. Speeding up the painting process
5. Key elements to make a compelling background
Chapter 4. Color Palettes: Understanding Which to Choose
1. Making artwork with unique colours
2. Colour correction and gradient maps
3. Adding colour to grayscale pixel art
Chapter 5. Making a 5 Color Artwork Together
1. Making an interesting colour palette with 5-6 colours
2. Tips to improve your workflow
3. Colour correction and exporting
Chapter 6. Animating a Scene from Start to Finish
1. Planning your animation beforehand
2. Creating an endless animation loop
3. Idle animations that make sense
4. Exporting the finished animation
Chapter 7. Making a Storefront Asset with Different Angles
1. Compiling references to create your own distinct storefront
2. Sketching out thumbnails
3. Setting up your canvas for isometric pixel art
4. Item and layer management tips
Chapter 8. Making Products with Your Pixel Art!
1. How to export your work for printing
2. How to make postcards and prints
3. How to make stickers
1. Congratulations on completing the course!
About the Instructor
Artist and Illustrator, Nelson Wu
Hi there! I’m Nelson and I’m a pixel artist and illustrator, I’ve been working in the animation and video game industry for 2 years.
I’ve worked as a concept artist, background painter, pixel artist, UI designer, and graphic designer. All these roles taught me time management, efficiency, and the importance of quality.
Pixel art is such an incredible form of art, that can be versatile in many ways. I’d love to see more pixel artists out there, and especially more pixel art games to play. I’d love to be able to share everything I’ve learned so far for people who are interested in taking this path!
- This class uses Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Photoshop is a subscription-based paid software
- To take this class, you need to have access to this software
- The class will cover how to use and apply the program
- Those who wants to get better at the basics of pixel art
- People who want to learn my style of pixel art and animation
- Artists who want to learn my workflow and new skills to their repertoire
- Anyone who wants to learn the foundations for creating game assets or making their own line of printable merchandise
Duration of the Course
You will have unlimited access to the class content for 32 weeks. Within that period, you can play the videos on as many devices as you want.
Early Bird Offer
Once the course is live, it will no longer be offered at Early Bird prices. Right now is the best deal you can get.
You need to have your own Adobe Photoshop to take the class. For more information, please visit adobe.com
You will be notified via email regarding how to access the class content on the release date, October 8th.
Q: How did you first start doing what you do?
I started drawing when I was young, and I got more interested in pixel art in university. I was inspired by games I play and animations that I like to watch and wanted to make my own someday. Right now I’m making pixel background animations for myself and freelance clients. The process I will teach you is so easy that in no time you will be able to create your own pixel artworks just like mine!