1. Learn at your own pace in this 32-week online course.
2. Artistic guidance & feedback from the artist herself.
3. Engaged & supportive community of peers to exchange feedback.
4. English subtitles, Original audio in Korean.
5. Class starts after August 14th.
Tell Your Story with Retro Style Animations: RDR's Digital Drawing Class
Buy One, Get One
We are offering this chance only to the first 100 classmates. Enjoy the promotion before it’s too late.
1. Learn at your own pace in this 32-week online course.
Let your story unfold through animated illustrations
Hi. I’m RDR, an artist that creates animation. I make animated music videos with a retro atmosphere. As I continued to work on animation, I got a lot of support from many people, especially for my music video “Day of the Month” with 1.6 million views on YouTube.
In order to experience everything from character design to animation production and editing, I would like to take the time to show you my creation process through my newest animation, “FEEL GOOD”.
Storytelling through animation
The charm of animation is that you can quickly and effectively tell the story you want to tell through your illustrations. Each scene can contain a special meaning. I've been asked a lot about how to work with animations, so I want to share my working methods and processes with you through Class 101.
Drawing character illustrations with Photoshop
I’ll show you how to work using a tablet and Photoshop. Photoshop has the advantage of being able to produce not only illustrations, but also animations, with the added bonus of being able to edit easily. It may be strange when you first begin to use the tool, but as you learn it gradually, you will get used to it.
Redraw with your style
Why not draw a given object in your own way rather than drawing it as it is? Deforme is a drawing tool that transforms or distorts an object in a way that is not realistic, but it can also show your own style depending on how much Deforme is used.
Eye-catching character designs and illustrations
When creating a character, of course, external aspects such as clothing and appearance are important, but I think the atmosphere from the character is particularly important. I want to share with you all the important tips when drawing and creating characters.
After visualizing and designing your own personalized character, I’ll walk you through how to organize the concept with a character sheet. In addition, I will tell you how to compose your screen and how to use colors and useful functions in Photoshop to create an illustration.
Creating an animated music video A to Z
My newest video, "FEEL GOOD" is created exclusively for this class! I'll walk you through how I made the video, tips, and everything you need to know!
Animated music videos have the advantage that you can share your stories through your favorite music. I have been making animated music videos for a while now, and I would like to share the skills I’ve gathered through experience so that you can make a great animated video with your own power. I will tell you how to make your own video!
Step by step, planning an animation
If you have your own character and stories you want to tell, but don’t know where to start, let me show you the way. I will tell you everything you need to know, from how to create a video concept to things to consider while directing.
Creating animations with Photoshop
You may feel that creating animations is difficult because you have to draw multiple layers, but after seeing your character move, you will fall in love with animation. Learn features used in Photoshop for animation and practice how to show effective movement.
Editing animations with After Effects
All editing is done through After Effects. After Effects is good for adding various effects to the video, and there are many similar parts to Photoshop, so it will be a little easier to learn.
I think the quality of an animation really depends on editing. I'll thoroughly explain the basics so that you can easily understand it. From modifying basic animation timing to adding retro effects that I often use, let's learn step by step.
You’re not alone
I learned on my own and got all the way to this point. So, I know what kind of difficulties you will have when you start painting. For those who would like to start painting, for those who want to start making videos, we will walk through together. :)
Step 01 : Understanding the Tools to Create
The tools we will use to create are Adobe Photoshop and After Effects. I’ll walk you through the basic functions of the programs and teach you how to use them to create animations.
Step 02 : Create Your Own Character
From visualization and design to creation, I’ll teach you how to draw your own unique characters and bring them to life.
Step 03 : Visualizing Your Scene
Now it’s time to give your character a story. Learn how to grasp a concept and organize the elements on the screen to give your animation or illustration a setting.
Step 04 : Creating an Animated Music Video
My specialty is animated music videos. I’ll show you my process for creating music videos, and teach you all the skills you need, including visualizing concepts and creating storyboards.
Step 05 : Creating Your Own, Unique Animation
Now it’s time to create on your own. I’ll walk you through how to create your own character, scene, and even animation! Anything within the limits of your imagination is possible!
Welcome to RDR’s Digital Drawing Class
- Meet RDR: animation artist, and your instructor
- Introducing the class: Creating your own animation scenes
- On using Photoshop, After Effects, and a tablet
01. The Basics of Photoshop
- On the Photoshop interface
- How to use the canvas and layer functions
- Learning useful shortcuts
02. Drawing Characters
- Understanding the structure and proportions of people
- How to draw characters using the deforme technique
- How to form a character concept
- How to make a character sheet
03. Drawing a Character Illustration
- Visualizing your illustration screen
- Finding colors that fit your concept and design
- Editing in the retro style
04. The Basics of Video Production
- Understanding the basic video formats
- Establishing a concept
- Understanding the basics of production
- Creating an animation storyboard
- The most important elements to consider when visualizing your videos
05. The Basics of Animation
- The Photoshop tools that will help give animation effects
- The basic process of animation creations
- Creating a blinking animation effect
06. Creating Animations with Photoshop: Beginner
- Creating a head turning animation effect
- Using the follow through technique to highlight details
- Creating a lip-sync animation effect
07.Creating Animations with Photoshop: Intermediate
- Creating a turnaround animation effect
- Creating a hair flowing in the wind animation effect
- Creating a running animation effect
08. Editing Videos with After Effects
- Exploring the After Effects interface
- How to use After Effects’ basic functions
- Controlling the animation timing
- Frequently-used effects
09. Adding Effects with After Effects
- How to illustrate depth
- Filling in an empty background
- Adding effects in the retro style
Outro: Congratulations on Finishing the Class!
In closing: Convey your own story through animation
Anyone can tell their story
Hi. I’m RDR, your instructor.
Since I loved listening to music and drawing, I started making animated music videos. I wanted to share my art with many people, so I started posting my work on YouTube, and now more than 530,000 people subscribed to watch my stories.
I hope my class will help those who want to tell their stories to many people.
All-in-one Package includes RDR's exclusive goods, only available at Class101!
Its original price: $45, now at $30 with the class access!
- A mouse pad
- Two types of A3 sized wall-paper
- A set of 6 stickers
- One Griptok
*RDR's merchandise will be delivered two weeks before the class starts.
**RDR's merchandise will be sold separately soon. It's your last chance to get a discount on merchandise only if you purchased with the class access!
- People who want to draw their own character
- People who want to draw retro-style illustrations
- People who want to learn the basics of animation production and editing
- People who want to make animated music videos
- People who want to learn a new, enriching hobby
- This class uses Adobe Photoshop CC/CS
- Adobe Photoshop is a subscription-based paid software
- To take this class, you need to have access to Adobe Photoshop and After Effect
- The class will fully cover how to use and apply the program
The first 40 backers who buy early and help us with the crowdfunding will have the extraordinary opportunity to enjoy the class for only $119.
After the crowdfunding reaches its goal, the cost will rise (original price: $216).
Don't miss out on your chance to get this temporary 45% discount.
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 32 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
Super Early Bird Offer
Once we pass the release date, we will no longer offered the class at "Super Early Bird". The rate will be raised after the date, right now is the cheapest deal you can get.
You need to have your own Adobe Photoshop & After Effect to take the class. For more information, please visit adobe.com
Class videos will be available by the August 14th. We will notify you via email regarding how to access to the class videos on the release date.