1. Go at your own pace in this 32-week online course
2. Artistic guidance & pointers from the instructor
3. Supportive peer community exchanging feedback
4. Class is in production. Start learning after Sep 23rd
How to design characters that tell a story: Breathing life into your illustrations
By. Sonia Stegemann
Buy One, Get One
We are offering this chance only to the first 100 classmates. Enjoy the promotion before it’s too late.
1. Go at your own pace in this 32-week online course
Master character design & illustration from start to finish
In this course I will show you my complete process behind creating drawings like mine, from coming up with ideas and how I find and organize references until the finished illustration.
You will not only learn how I draw the human body and break it up into simple shapes to create interesting poses but also how to put your character into an environment that shows their character and makes them feel even more real.
It’s broken up into easy steps showing concrete techniques and beginning with fundamentals so even beginners will be able to follow and create their own illustrations!
Both artists who are more used to drawing as well as illustration newbies will be able to use this course to improve their existing skills and challenge them.
With my guidance, you will be able to come up with characters quickly and will come to understand the steps and tools you will need to make your own original illustrations from start to finish.
I want you not to be afraid of tackling more complex illustrations with backgrounds because they are a great way to breathe more life into your character.
In the end you will not only have learned how to come up with ideas and collect references and resources but also how to use them and develop them into a drawing.
I will show you how to draw a character from scratch, how to breathe life into them and place them into an environment to create a finished illustration.
I compressed my entire routine into an easy to understand process to make it simple to understand and fun. Let’s create characters together!
Step 1: Learn how to draw the human body
Step 2: Start designing your own character
Step 3: Learn perspective and composition fundamentals to come up with a full character concept
Step 4 : Place your character into an environment to tell their story
Welcome to “How to design characters that tell a story: Breathing life into your illustrations” Course
1. Meet Your Instructor: Sonia Stegemann
2. Introduction to the course
3. Introduction to Procreate
Chapter 1: How to draw a character with stylized anatomy
1. How to draw faces and add expressions
2. Drawing hair and hairstyles
3. Drawing the body and how I stylize anatomy for posing
Chapter 2: Drawing a character step by step
1. Coming up with a concept for your character and organizing your ideas and references
2. Making thumbnails/ coming up with a pose and outfit
3. Drawing the sketch, how to draw clothes
4. Lines: how to not loose the movement of your sketch
5. Choosing a color scheme: how to use color to compliment your character and their personality
6. Adding texture, my shading and rendering steps
Chapter 3: Developing your own style
1. Where does a style come from and how did I develop mine?
2. A step by step guide on how you can develop one right now!
3. Branding yourself/ finding your theme
Chapter 4: Coming up with a concept for the final illustration
1. What do you want to draw? Where to get inspiration?
2. Collecting ideas and references and organizing them
3. Coming up with an interesting composition to get your idea across
4. What do you need to know about perspective?
Chapter 5: Drawing a character into a background
1. How to draw the body in perspective
2. Choosing poses that look realistic but not boring
3. Adding a person into a room or background in a believable way
Chapter 6: Drawing the full illustration step by step
1. Finalizing your idea and making thumbnails
2. Sketching the drawing out
3. Making a color palette and how different colors affect mood
4. Line-work and where to start
5. Coloring and shading
Chapter 7: Adding effect layers to give your illustration the final touch
1. Using adjustment layers to tie everything together
2. Adding effect layers and light effects
Outro: Congratulations on finishing the course!
About the Creator
Professional Portrait Artist, Sonia Stegemann
Hi, my name is Sonia and I’m an illustrator and graphic designer based in Germany. My favorite thing to draw are cute girls with an attitude and personality.
The best thing about art is learning and improving and having the power to create characters from nothing and telling their story by drawing them!
A few years ago I started uploading my drawings to Instagram to share my characters with other people. Over time I learned to refine my style and technique to be able to draw illustrations that are as close as possible to the image I have in my head.
Now I want to inspire other artists to also share their unique stories and characters!
This course will teach and guide you on how to effectively utilize different tools such as "digital brushes," "palettes," and "blending options" in Procreate app. We will help you adjust app settings to optimize your drawing experience.
*Please Note: Students will have to purchase Procreate application ($10 in Apple Store). It is not included in the course package.
- Those who want to get better at the basics of digital drawing
- People who want to learn my style of character design
- People who want to start drawing interesting characters with a story
- People who want to use this course to improve their existing skills and challenge themselves
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 32 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
Super Early Bird Offer
Once we pass the release date, we will no longer offered the class at "Super Early Bird". The rate will be raised after the date, right now is the cheapest deal you can get.
Class Preparation (iPad)
Also, you need an Apple Pencil to take the class. iPad Air, iPad, iPad Pro all works! Do not forget about downloading the 'Procreate' app as well.
Class videos will be available by the September 23rd.
We will notify you via email regarding how to access
to the class videos on the release date.
Q: How did you first start doing what you do?
I’ve always loved drawing! Looking at old art from when I was still going to school I see all kinds of cute girls and characters I used to draw.
TV shows like Sailor Moon with strong female leads inspired me to also create characters with exciting lives and daily struggles. Telling their stories through illustrations or small comics was and still is my favorite thing to do!
Now I want to encourage others to also create characters and explore them and their personalities through drawing and art.
Q: What is your favorite thing about what you do?
Everyone has a story and a whole life and universe around them. I love showing a glimpse into that personality through my drawings. It’s a way of getting to know the characters I draw and with each illustration I even learn new things about myself!
One thing in specific that I really enjoy is coming up with cute outfits and hairstyles for my characters and dressing them up over and over again!
Q: What makes this course different or special?
With this class I’ve combined my entire experience of the past three years of drawing every day into simple steps everyone can follow to create full blown illustrations with characters in them that are unique and interesting.
Q: What kind of person should absolutely take this course?
Anyone who likes drawing characters will be able to benefit from taking this course!
The steps are simple and easy to follow and are supported and underlined with strategies and examples to make them understandable for any skill level. The class will give you the know how and techniques you need to create a full illustration but you are able to decide how complex and advanced you want it to be.