1. Go at your own pace in this 32-week online course
2. Artistic guidance & pointers from the instructor
3. Supportive peer community exchanging feedback
4. With the Material Package, every materials you need will be delivered to your door-step
5. Class is in production. Start learning after Nov, 13th
Sketching Animals and Creatures with Pen and Ink
By. Sorie Kim
Buy One, Get One
We are offering this chance only to the first 100 classmates. Enjoy the promotion before it’s too late.
1. Go at your own pace in this 32-week online course
Pen and Ink Drawing for Creatures
Learn Ink Drawing for Animals and Creatures with
Artist, Sorie Kim
This course will take you through the process of learning how to sketch creatures both real and imaginary. Instead of learning how to simply replicate a drawing or photo, this class will teach you how to utilize reference and break down complex subject matter into basic forms. We will also cover skeletal structure, rendering textures, and capturing movement/poses to bring your sketches to life. We'll be exploring a variety of exercises to design creatures, using real animals as a foundation to maintain believability.
I will also be going over how I use pen and ink, basic sketching principles, and rendering techniques to create dynamic illustrations. In this class, I will be working directly with ink in order to build line confidence and practice line economy. It can be intimidating to go directly to ink without a pencil sketch underneath, but this method will train you to be more intentional with your lines.
Through this course, you will learn how to break down animals into simple forms, giving you freedom to draw subjects from multiple perspectives. The class missions will help you bridge the gap between drawing from observation to imagination.
You will also learn how to start drawing directly with ink, to render your sketches, and to compose layouts for presentation. The course is project based, and will take you through the steps to design your very own creature!
Step 1: How to Draw Straight with Ink
Step 2: How to Break Down Complex Subjects into Basic Forms
Step 3: How to Sketch and Render Animals with Ink
Step 4: How to Draw from Imagination and Design Your Own Creatures
- Meet Your Instructor: Sorie Kim
- Introduction to the course
- Introduction to Ink & Pen Drawing
Chapter 1: Learning the Basics of Sketching with Ink
- Line confidence and control
- How to utilize line weight
- How to draw directly with ink
Chapter 2: Breaking Down Complex Subjects Into Basic Forms
- Drawing basic forms in perspective
- Modifying and combining basic forms
- Breaking down animals into basic forms
Chapter 3: Rendering with Pen and Ink
- Mark making and hatching
- Applying principles of design
- How to render form
- How to assign and simplify value
- How to communicate texture and materials
- Applying texture on 3D forms
- Rendering complex forms
Chapter 4: Studying Animal Anatomy
- Skeletal form
- How to utilize anatomical knowledge to sketch animals
Chapter 5: Practicing Animal Sketching
- A step by step guide to drawing animals
- Fish and invertebrates
- Reptiles and amphibians
Chapter 6: Drawing from Imagination
- Building your visual library
- Posing and movement in animals
- How to practice drawing from imagination
Chapter 7: Learning How to Design Your Own Creatures
- Research and conceptualize
- Thumbnails and silhouettes
- Playing with proportions
- Applying real anatomy into imaginary creatures
- Rendering and finalizing your illustration
Bonus Chapter: : How I find My Own Art Style
- Designing from observation
- Notes on stylization
1. Congratulations on Completing the Course
About the Instructor
My name is Sorie Kim, and I am an illustrator and instructor based in LA. I currently teach Foundation Sketching at Brainstorm School, and I have taught Animal and Human Anatomy workshops for Dreamworks Animation. I also have been working as an independent artist for the past several years. I've had the honor to show my work with Giant Robot, WOWxWOW, and Gallery Nucleus, and work with brands such as Tiktok and Pentel. I feel incredibly grateful to be able to do what I love full time, and hope to continue learning for the rest of my life.
Q: How did you first start doing what you do?
Ever since I was a kid, my goal in life has simply been to draw as much as possible. I've always had a fascination with the natural world, and most of my personal work stems from it. Animals in particular are my hands down favorite subject matter to study, and I'm incredibly excited to share everything I've learned so far!
- PENTEL Color Brush Pen Black
- Faber Castell Pitt artist pens Black
- Copic Marker (C3)
- Strathmore Tan Drawing 400 Series Toned Pad 9"x12"
- Uniball signo white gel pen
- People who love to create and draw with pen & ink
- People who want a depth of expression through creature and animal drawing
- People who want to design and draw their own creatures
- People who want to improve and take their drawings to the next level!
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 32 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
Super Early Bird Offer
Once we pass the release date, we will no longer offered the class at "Super Early Bird". The rate will be raised after the date, right now is the cheapest deal you can get.
We will send you the package before the release date(November 13th), if you have purchased the All-in-one package.
Class videos will be available by November 13th. We will notify you via email regarding how to access to the class videos on the release date.