1. Go at your own pace in this 20-week online course
2. Artistic guidance & pointers from the instructor
3. Supportive peer community exchanging feedback
4. Enroll now to start learning right away!
1. Go at your own pace in this 20-week online course
Create Vivid, Imaginative Illustrations
Learn Digital Drawing for the iPad in Procreate with
Artist and Illustrator, Andy Williams
Have you ever daydreamed about creating an imaginary world? What about bringing the world into a real-life with your own beautiful and vivid landscape illustration?
If the answer is yes, then this is just the right class for you! I will show you step by step to create stylized, colorful environments from the ground up.
This course will enable you to bring your ideas, stories, and worlds into real life!
In this course, I will teach you from the very beginning to the end. This includes creating completion compositions with thumbnails, editing and creating custom procreate brushes, sketching to achieve smooth and crisp linework, coloring your linework to produce an illustration, and so on. I’m sure that you will be able to create your own beautiful art after this course.
We will cover the basics of planning your illustration as it is a commissioned piece of art. By the end of this course, you will have all the tools to produce an illustration and to work as a professional artist.
Even if you are starting as an illustrator, this course is still ideal for you, as I will guide you step by step from the start to the end.
By the end of this course, you will be familiar with the steps required to produce professional-level illustrations.
Together, we will dive into the Procreate tools, and learn how to properly plan your illustrations to get the best out of your imagination. Ultimately, you will end up with an illustration that you created from scratch.
Step 1: Develop your ideas into working sketches
Coming up with good ideas and compositions is often the toughest part of illustrating. After working as a professional illustrator for many years, I have utilized a variety of techniques and methods to overcome these barriers, allowing me to generate ideas consistently on demand. Together we will explore these methods so you can also generate ideas quickly to produce professional-level illustrations.
Step 2: Learning the fundamentals of procreate that will allow you to draw and colour your illustration
Over the years, I have used a wide variety of applications and mediums to create illustrations for both professional and personal projects. I now almost exclusively use procreate to create all of my artworks. I will walk you through the tools, process, and techniques that I use to create all of my illustrations. Many of the techniques I use are also available in photoshop, meaning that you can still follow along with most of the steps without Procreate. However, it is preferred that you have Procreate to truly get the most out of this course.
Step 3: Explore colour pallet development and the process of colouring your illustration
I have always been appreciated for using vivid colours in my illustrations. I have developed a method in generating my original vivid colour pallets to use within my art. I will share with you my techniques so that you can also create your original colour pallets to use in your artwork. We will also step by step go through the full process of colouring your illustration from blocking out your flat colours to add texture and blend colours to create dynamic and vivid imagery.
Step 4: Learn how to add life, depth and atmospheric perspective to your illustration
One of the most difficult steps people find is adding a sense of depth and realism to their illustration. Creating stylish artwork and making it dimensional and realistic are very different. I will teach you my methods of adding light and shadow to create contrast and depth in your art, adding an extra dimension. I will also show how you can breathe life into your illustration even if it does not contain any characters. You will soon learn that you don’t need characters to make your illustrations realistic.
- Meet Andy The Illustrator: illustrator, comic artist, and animator
- Course introduction
- Class preparation: iPad & Procreate App
Chapter 1: Introduction to Procreate and Its Tools
- Learn the essential tools and layout of Procreate
- Learn about the types of brushes you will be using to create your illustration
- Learn about choosing correct canvas size and resolutions
Chapter 2: Creating Inspiration Mood Boards and Thumbnails
- What is Inspiration Mood Boards, and Why do we need it?
- How to quickly put together a mood board
- Create thumbnail sketches and explore a variety of compositions to set your scene using your Inspiration Mood Board
Chapter 3: Developing a Sketch from Your Thumbnails
- Learn what makes a good thumbnail to start a sketch from
- Build a foundation of a stylized sketch from your thumbnails using free-flowing lines and marks
- What is Refinement, and why is it important? what works and what doesn’t?
- Refine one of your rough initial sketch into a working sketch with clear, structured lines
Chapter 4: Cleaning Up Your Sketch to Finish with Crisp and Clean Linework
- Applying the correct brush setting for Crisp and smooth linework
- Using layers to trace your drawing neatly
- How to create a variety of flora and fauna to breathe life into your illustration
- Learn how to use various brush weights to create line textures, adding depth and detail
Chapter 5: Choosing Colours and Colouring Your Linework
- Easy ways to create a vibrant colour pallet that works using photo reference
- Choosing the right colour pallet to fit the mood and environment of your illustration
- Adding your flat colours
- Creating an atmospheric perspective with colour
Chapter 6: Adding Texture and Detail to Your Drawing
- Using secondary colours to add details and textures
- Learn how to use blending tools to create gradients and dynamic colour blends
- Using masking tools to colour the lines in your drawing
- Illustrating stylized clouds
Chapter 7: Lighting and Shadow
- Adding shadows to your illustration to create depth and contrast
- Bringing light to your artwork
Chapter 8: Finishing Touches and Exporting
- Bringing the drawing into life by adding small details
- Exporting your illustration to share on your desired platforms
1. Congratulations on Completing the Course
About the Instructor
Illustrator, Andy Williams
Hi, my name is Andy Williams, also known as Andy The Illustrator. I have been working within the creative industry for over 10 years. I have been wearing many hats in the art industry, including Art Director and Senior Level Animator, within various studios in the UK.
Around 3 years ago, I decided to become a self-employed illustrator and haven’t looked back since. My experience in the creative industry has helped me understand how to work effectively in a studio environment and, most importantly, to create art for those studios as freelance artists.
I would love to share with you the knowledge I have picked up over the years in creating stylized illustrations that will help you stand out from the crowd, ultimately helping you become a must-have illustrator for studios.
Q: How did you first start doing what you do?
I have always been interested in art. However, I did not realize that I could make a living with it. My initial higher education was on science and mathematics, but soon after, my interest and desire to create art became too strong to ignore. I ended up dropping the subjects I was studying and enroll in art school.
After graduating from university with a degree in traditional illustration, I secured an entry position as an art specialist for a small local studio. Over the years, I have worked my way through the various positions, moving onto bigger studios each time until I eventually achieved my dream of becoming an Art Director.
I always try to push myself as far as I can and realized that I needed to become self-employed to achieve my full potential. This decision helped me develop my style further and secure the rarer niche projects that helped shape my original art style.
This course will teach and guide you on how to effectively utilize different tools such as "digital brushes," "palettes," and "blending options" in Procreate app.
We will help you adjust app settings to optimize your drawing experience.
*Please Note: Students will have to purchase Procreate application ($10 in Apple Store). It is not included in the course package.
- People who want to learn essential tools of Procreate
- People who want to learn the entire process of illustration from beginning to end.
- People who want to know more about Inspiration Mood boards
- People who want to add details to their drawings
- People who want to make their drawings dimensional by using shades.
- People who want to share their illustration with the world
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
Class Preparation (iPad)
Also, you need an Apple Pencil to take the class. iPad Air, iPad, iPad Pro all works! Do not forget about downloading the 'Procreate' app as well.
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase.