1. Go at your own pace in this 20-week online course
2. Artistic guidance & pointers from the instructor
3. Supportive peer community exchanging feedback
4. All-in-one Class Kit option available at purchase
5. Enroll now to start learning right away!
Creating Ink and Watercolor Illustrations with Bryce Kho
Get $50 off your first ‘On demand’ class
Buy One, Get One
We are offering this chance only to the first 100 classmates. Enjoy the promotion before it’s too late.
1. Go at your own pace in this 20-week online course
Ink and Watercolor Illustration
Learn Line Art, Drawing, and Brushwork with
Artist and Illustrator, Bryce Kho
This course is about drawing with ink and watercolor - using pen, felt pen, brush pen, and dip brushes. Working directly with ink requires building up your confidence and training to visualize your drawings before placing a stroke down on paper.
We will be exploring and familiarizing ink as a medium, and working on the very basics of drawing to build a foundation — line weight, drawing basic shapes and volumes, understanding perspective— and gradually work towards being able to visualize any object in three dimensions.
Take the freedom to skip the pencil sketch, and jump straight to ink. Start portraying the breathing scenery and people in your life, or capturing your imagination on the paper with more confidence, completing a fully finished illustration.
This course is for beginners to intermediate artists who would like to sharpen their fundamental drawing skills to master ink and watercolor. This course is also great for those who desire to shift from realistic to imaginative drawing.
This course aims to build your visual library and apply it to draw with ink from the start, using your visualization skills and imagination!
After practicing drawing a real-life object, we will start rotating those in your head without even touching them. Sounds too complicated? No worry, we will go from simple objects to complicated ones. Once you are capable of doing so, you will be able to plan out, compose, and finish a traditional illustration using ink and watercolor.
Step 1: Seeing Objects in 3D
Starting with basic shapes, we will learn how to visualize and rotate objects in your head. We’ll gradually add complexity as we learn to break down more complex objects into simple shapes that we can easily understand and maneuver.
Step 2: Drawing with Inks
We’ll familiarize ourselves with inks brush pens, and learn how to create beautiful and confident lines. Our goal is to understand the requiring skills to use this new medium and to master them, such as line weight. It will help every line we draw to convey volume.
Step 3: Mastering Your Subject Matter
I always start my illustration from understanding my subject matter, and it often requires researches. I will share why and how I research the subject matter that I want to portray. By mastering a handful of new subjects of your choice, you’ll be able to build blocks for your final illustration project.
Step 4: Shadows and Light with Watercolor
Coloring can breathe life into your ink drawings, but to do so, we need to understand the concepts of light and shadow. Adding to the 3D visualization skills that you learned from Step1, we’ll start adding shades and volumes to our drawings using watercolor.
Step 5: CYMK Color Method
I will teach you my secret method to create the entire spectrum of colors by mixing and blending Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black. Yes, just four colors! It’s a super fun way to understand the colors, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Step 6: Composing a Illustration
By combining everything we’ve learned to this point, we’ll make a final ink and watercolor illustration, featuring the visual library you’ve developed throughout the course. I’ll walk you through my process for this, and give you new tools to bring a dynamic composition to real life.
- Meet Bryce Kho: illustrator, character designer, and your instructor
- Introduction to the course: Drawing an Illustration with Ink and Watercolor
- Introduction to the materials: Taking a look at the class package
Chapter 1: Visualizing in 3D
- What does it mean to visualize in 3D?
- Breaking down complex objects into simple ones
- Drawing basic shapes in 3D
- Using details and landmarks to add charms and ease your life
- Combining shapes and details to draw anything
Chapter 2: Drawing with Inks
- Understanding the brush pens and how to make every line counts
- Conveying hard and soft materials using line quality
- Mastering line weight to carry the volumes
- Creating textures using Ink technique
- Ink Troubleshooting
Chapter 3: Expanding Your Visual Library
- How to study and research new topics
- Step by step guides to tackle complicated subject matters
- How to plan freeform compositions with overlaps
- Armor, Robots, and shorthand tips for human anatomy.
- How to draw human faces
Chapter 4: Light and Shadow with Watercolor
- Introduction to Watercolor Media and Water Brush Pens
- Basic Shading with Watercolors to Give Form to Basic Shapes
- Variations in Shadow
- Strategies for Value-Focused Shading
Chapter 5: CYMK Color Method
- How to mix and blend colors
- Setting the tone with a limited color selection
- Step by step guide to color washing
- Coloring tips: Flexibility and troubleshooting
Chapter 6: Posing and Perspective
- Posing Subjects in Dynamic Positions
- Depth Indicators
- Linear Perspective
- Placing Objects in a Scene
Chapter 7: Composing an Illustration
- How I create a professional Illustration
- Researching for an illustration
- Sharpening an image through thumbnails, poses and vibes
- Creating a balanced composition for storytelling - part 1
- Creating a balanced composition for storytelling - part 2
- Combining everything and letting everything go - part 1
- Combining everything and letting everything go - part 2
Bonus: How to develop your own style
- Tips on How to create your own style
1. Congratulations on Completing the Course
About the Instructor
Illustrator, Bryce Kho
My name is Bryce Kho and I am an Illustrator and Character Designer. A lot of my most recent work has been for video games, including titles such as Sea of Stars, The Messenger, and Aegis Defenders, but I’ve also shown a good deal of my personal work at galleries such as Nucleus, Qpop, and Gallery 1988 in Los Angeles. As someone who didn’t originally plan on being an artist professionally, I’ve accumulated a lot of my skills over time as a hobby and am excited to share this knowledge with others.
Q: How did you first start doing what you do?
After finishing my first video game, Aegis Defenders, and after more than four years of hard work, I was given something I hadn’t had since childhood— free time to simply draw for myself. I started posting more of my work on Instagram and was delighted to find myself slowly building up a strong enough following that I could continue to draw whatever I wanted and still maintain a decent income. Now, I work part time as a freelance illustrator but still have enough free time to pursue my own personal projects.
- Kuretake Bimoji Brush Pen, Extra Fine, Fine, Medium, Broad, Medium/Bristles, Value Set of 5 / 1EA
- Kuretake GANSAI TAMBI Watercolor 24 Colors Set, Handcrafted, Professional-Quality Pigment Inks for Artists and Crafters, AP-Certified, Blendable, Show up on Dark Papers, Made in Japan / 1EA
- Canson XL Aquarelle Watercolor Painting Book, 9" x 12", 30 Sheets / 1EA
- Cergio Media Pad 200g A4 20 sheet / 3EA
- Pentel Arts Aquash Water Brush Assorted Tips, 4 Pack Carded (FRHBP4M) / 1EA
- Pentel Arts Portable Pocket Brush Pen (Medium Point), 1Pen & 2Refills / 1EA
- People who want to learn how to capture 3D on 2D
- People who are interested in Ink illustrations
- People who want to add volumes and textures to their drawing
- People who want to explore the CMYK color spectrum
- People who want their illustrations to be original
Duration of the Course
You will have unlimited access to the class content for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can play the videos on as many devices as you want.
If you have purchased the “All-in-one package,” it may take less than 2 weeks to get the package. We will also send you a tracking number after we send the package. Due to the duration of delivery, your access will be extended to 22 weeks.
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase.