1. Learn at your own pace in this 20-week online course.
2. Artistic guidance & feedback from the artist herself.
3. Engaged & supportive community of peers to exchange feedback.
4. English subtitles (Original audio in Korean).
5. Enroll now to start learning right away!
Draw What You See, The Way You See It: iPad Drawing Class
Buy One, Get One
We are offering this chance only to the first 100 classmates. Enjoy the promotion before it’s too late.
1. Learn at your own pace in this 20-week online course.
Capture the happiness in your lives
Happiness should be remembered and documented. I’ll show you how you can record the happiness of everyday life in a more vivid and personal way than mere memories or photos. We will draw a total of sixteen pictures that blend various topics, techniques, and methods of drawing in order to capture special moments of everyday life.
The illustration process
In order to draw a high quality illustration, it is important to properly use various textures and to organize the screen. From simple objects to portraits, backgrounds, analog effects, contrast, and coloring, everything you need to know is packed into this one class.
With the new update of Procreate, even more brushes have been added. I'm going to take the time to help you make painting a little easier and express freely.
Your memories can live through illustrations
I’ll show you how you can transform your illustration into a moving animation. It can only be done with Procreate! Give your flat and boring images a story with moving animations.
Additionally, I will show you a method of drawing cartoon characters that even beginners can understand and follow. Once you have mastered character drawing, you can draw not only the people around you, but also the characters of the movies or dramas!
Drawing over photos
It's boring to draw only people, but it's also difficult drawing backgrounds. But there’s another way. It is also possible to create a new feeling by drawing directly on a photograph! I’ll show you how you can take photos of any location, and create them into your own unique interpretation of those places.
Expressing the way you want
Drawing a picture is not as difficult as you think. I will tell you very easily how to use the light and shadows that bring the atmosphere to the picture. I will tell you how to paint a variety of landscape drawings in such a way to give a new feeling, depict any place. By simply changing the hue combination, you can give various moods to a single picture. In the morning, afternoon, sunset, night ... I will teach you how to express a single background in many ways so that you can fully remember all the time. By the end of class, you will walk away with the ability to expand the sense of space a little more to express perspective more realistically.
Using Photo References
Are you having a hard time deciding where to start when drawing while looking at the actual picture? I will show you the process of transferring a picture to a picture one by one with examples. Based on the photos taken in everyday life, you’ll learn how to create background drawings that effectively capture the atmosphere. You can draw nicely without difficult concepts such as vanishing points or with a sketching process. Let's challenge how easy and fun the pictures are!
Vividly record your travel memories
Drawings will allow you to capture a lot more things on your screen than pictures. Now record the scenes in your memories more intensely and impressively with pictures. This allows you to create your own great picture album. I will also take time to easily draw a picture of my beloved friends, family, lovers, and myself. It is simple, but it can greatly improve the quality of the illustration.
Make the illustration your own
You can start by copying the illustrations the way I show you. I prepared a class where everyone can create and grow. Over time, you will see your own personal style come out of these illustrations. By the end of class, you will walk away with the ability to create your own unique illustrations that hold a special meaning to you.
Document your special moments.
Digital drawing with Sungkyou Bae.
Step 01 : Animating an Illustration
Adding animation is an effective way to give your illustrations a special touch. Learn a simple way to make even the simplest illustrations more interesting.
Step 02 : Expressing Different Textures
Depending on the brush you use, you can create many different textures and atmospheres, even make the illustration look hand drawn. Learn about and how to use the various brushes of Procreate.
Step 03 : Expressing Light, Shadows, and Atmosphere
Adding light, shadow, and atmospheric effects will help make your illustrations look more vivid. Learn how to use colors to add depth and atmosphere to your drawings.
Step 04 : Drawing Simple, But Graceful Figures
Drawing people can be intimidating and difficult. Learn how to use photos and simple shapes to study and draw human figures.
Step 05 : Combining People and Landscapes
The background will help give your character a story. I’ll show you how you can visualize and form a background around your character and their purpose.
Step 06 : Drawing Off Photos
Oftentimes, inspiration will be found in real life. Learn how to use photos, and other references to draw out your lives on paper.
Welcome to Sungkyou Bae’s Digital Drawing Class
- Introducing the class: Drawing on the iPad
- Introducing the materials: All you need is an iPad
- How to find inspiration from the environment around you
01. Building a Strong Foundation on Procreate
- Exploring the Procreate interface
- How to use the multitasking function
- On the brushes and palette
- How to use layers
- How to use the mixing tools
02. Drawing Simple Scenes
- A Late Sunday Brunch - Drawing the furniture and objects (1)
- A Late Sunday Brunch - Drawing the furniture and objects (2)
- A Late Sunday Brunch - Expressing light and shadows and correcting for an analog feel
- Waiting for Spring - Composition and coloring
- Waiting for Spring - Adding smaller details
- A Guest in Summer - Composition and coloring
- A Guest in Summer - Expressing shadows and textures
03. Drawing in a Main Character
- How to draw people
- An Afternoon in London - Drawing a girl at a cafe
- Basilica of Saint Francis of Assis - Drawing a man’s face in profile
- Walking the Streets of Seoul - Drawing with a change in clothing
04. Drawing Beautiful Views
- A Night Flight - Drawing the window of a plane and coloring
- A Night Flight - Depicting the view from the plane
- A Blue Night on Jeju Island - Drawing an illustration based on a photo
- A Good day on Jeju Island - How to use colors to portray different types of day
05. Drawing Daily Life
- The First Day We Held Hands - Composition and coloring
- The First Day We Held Hands - Coloring the people and expressing an analog texture
- The Day I Listened to the Shade - Sketching the background and people
- The Day I Listened to the Shade - Coloring and editing
- A Slow Day - Sketching the background and people
- A Slow Day - Coloring and expressing shadows
06. Drawing Special Moments
- Passing By Mapo Bridge - Creating atmosphere using the same series of colors
- A Busy Day - How to express 3D spaces with depth
- Hawaiian Dream - Composition and coloring
- Hawaiian Dream - Coloring the people and palm trees
- Green Season - Drawing the space and people
- Green Season - Drawing the trees outside the window
- Cherry Blossom Season - Changing the tree to portray a cherry blossom tree
07. Drawing with Animations
- A Dreamlike Evening - Sketching and Coloring
- A Dreamlike Evening - Adding an animation effect of a moving car
- A Snowy Winter - Drawing the people and background
- A Snowy Winter - Adding an animation effect of falling snow
08. Capturing Details with Shade
- A Sleepless Night - Sketching the people and buildings
- A Sleepless Night - Coloring and expressing an analog texture
- A Sleepless Night - Adding an animation effect of blinking lights
Outro: Congratulations on Finishing the Class!
In closing: Sungkyou Bae’s closing thoughts
Artist Sungkyou Bae
Hello, I’m Bae Sungkyou, a freelance illustrator who runs the graphics studio 'Ending Credit'.
I'm also working as a calligraphy designer!
Are you having a special day?
Have you ever forgotten the preciousness of that trivial everyday life?
Every day is happy and dreamy, and I talk about those special moments.
It's been 5 years since I started a job as a freelance artist after I resigned from a design company because I wanted to draw what I wanted to, not the ones I was asked to.
I'm working hard in various fields such as illustration, cosmetic package, fashion brand, album cover, exhibition, franchise cafe illustration, and corporate collaboration!
[Men's clothing brand-Allzen CGV theater advertisement]
[Amore Pacific-Primera Watery Moisture Cream Package and Main Poster Illustration]
[Cafe Pascucci-Jeju Island Limited Edition Illustration Mug]
[Outback Steakhouse - Illustrated Collaboration Work]
[Daniel Wellington-Watch Illustration Work]
[Woori Bank-'Work Together, Us' Project Illustration Work]
A warm illustration to talk about
As an illustrator, I started to take my first steps sincerely and started as an artist in 2015 after being elected to the Naver Portfolio Storypick Artist Contest.
I drew about the time of the day that a puppy called 'Chapsaldok', a puppy that looks white and chewy like glutinous rice cake, dreams. It's a picture of everyday life that we face everywhere, including houses, streets, and cafes.
When I applied, I wanted to communicate with many people through my illustrations rather than achieve the goal of being elected. The reason I started painting when I was young was because I liked people communicating with my drawings.
I was selected as the Top Creator of Naver Portfolio in 2015 and 2016 as I was working on a ‘Chapsaldok,’ and personally I was loved by so many people.
I wanted to convey the textures of analog by fully using the analog feeling and warm materials and colors of black and white silent movies before technology was developed.
By presenting the beauty that has already passed. I thought that times of brilliant visual effects or surprisingly new plot developments weren't all too close.
- People who want to keep a drawing of their precious everyday life
- People who want to learn how to use Procreate variously
- Those who want to get used to painting naturally while drawing a lot of various works
- People who want to learn a new, enriching hobby
This course will teach and guide you on how to effectively utilize different tools such as "digital brushes," "palettes," and "blending options" in Procreate app.
We will help you adjust app settings to optimize your drawing experience.
*Please Note: Students will have to purchase Procreate application ($10 in Apple Store). It is not included in the course package.
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
Class Preparation (iPad)
Also, you need an Apple Pencil to take the class. iPad Air, iPad, iPad Pro all works! Do not forget about downloading the 'Procreate' app as well.
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase. Please check your inbox or spam!
Q. Will I be able to take the class as long as I have any iPad device?
A. Of course! Anyone can take the class with any iPad, Apple Pencil, and the Procreate app! However, depending on the device's specifications, the number of layers, high resolution work, and brushes may be different!
Q. What is unique about this class?
A. I am trying to make the most of the warmth of analog with digital drawing. In this class, we are going to draw animated illustrations, collages where you draw pictures on top of pictures, expressions of light and shadows, extremely detailed objects, and landscapes and characters from a wider viewpoint.
Q. How do you find inspiration or the subject matter of paintings?
A. If you are conscious of a grand or special philosophy or subject, the picture may feel more difficult. I try to observe small things that are hiding from layer to layer, which I encounter in everyday life. You're constantly observing the coffee you drink, the cats sunning on the street, the men and women talking in cafes. And I take notes of such trivial thoughts in my drawings like a diary. You can think of this on a day like this, a song like this on a day like this, and a feeling like this on a day like this.
Q. How can I apply what I learn?
A. After class, I will tell you various ways you can apply what you learn so that you can draw on your own. It's good for you to follow along well and copy what I do, but it's more important how you tell your story in the future. And gradually, until you get used to the device, make it a habit to draw while enjoying leisurely! Even 10 minutes a day is fine.