1. Go at your own pace in this 20-week online course
2. Artistic guidance & pointers from the instructor
3. Supportive peer community exchanging feedback
4. Enroll now to start learning right away!
1. Go at your own pace in this 20-week online course
Unique Conceptual Illustration
Deliver your thoughts through art with
Professional Artist, Dion MBD
The concept is what sets a good artist from a great one. One often does not realize that spending time in developing a concept often leads them into discovering their own personal style that they would always enjoy doing.
Sometimes, coming up with ideas can seem daunting and difficult. However, when you start developing concepts with details and memories from your daily lives, this process suddenly becomes personal and exciting to do. You also start creating images that only you can do.
This class is here to help you communicate your emotions and ideas through your illustrations. While I will be using and teaching the basics of Procreate for this course, you can easily follow along using a medium of your choice. We have designed this class to be very versatile and adaptable to each artist’s workflow, techniques, and working conditions.
Instead of teaching you how to make a good illustration and giving you rules about it, I want to share how you can develop a process that lets you have fun while creating images that are close to your heart.
Step 1: The Fundamentals of Using Procreate
Step 2: Creating a Visual Library to Help Your Concept Development.
Step 3: How to Use Metaphors in Creating an Illustrations
Step 4: Basic Compositional Techniques to Tell a Story
Step 5: How to Choose a Color Palette that Conveys the Mood
Step 6: Creating and Using Textures for Digital Illustration
Step 7: Exercises to Help You Discover your own Artistic Style and Voice
- Meet Your Instructor: Dion MBD
- Introduction to the course
Chapter 1: Introduction to Procreate
- Overview of Procreate
- Brush settings
- Masking and layer organization
Chapter 2: Understanding Your Illustration Style
- Exploration of techniques
- Exploration of topics
- Creating a visual library for references
Chapter 3: Learning Concept-Development using Keywords and Thumbnail Sketches
- Keywords Brainstorming
- Metaphor Explorations
- Rough mini thumbnails
Chapter 4: Using Composition to Improve Concepts and Storytelling
- Basics of compositions in storytelling
- Improving a few thumbnails using basic composition techniques
- Adding context and emotions by using the environment
Chapter 5: Coming Up with Color Palettes
- Learning about the main, supporting, and accent colors
- Understanding different color schemes
- Creating rough color sketches
- Adding harmonious coloring details.
Chapter 6: Putting together a Final Illustration that is Unique to Your Style
- Completing a base drawing
- Rendering details and simplifying supporting elements
- Using adjustment functions to polish an illustration
Chapter 7: Finishing an Illustration using Textures
- Making your own textures
- Applying textures onto your illustration
- Using Procreate adjustments and layer modes to apply textures to a finished illustration
Bonus Chapter: How I Continue to Develop My Style and Voice
- Bringing your daily life into your illustrations.
- Taking your own references
- Looking for references online and creating moodboards
- Exploring different media and applying it to digital illustration
1. Congratulations on Completing the Course
About the Instructor
Introducing the Creator, Dion MBD
Hi, friends! My name is Dion MBD, an illustrator who creates images for publishing, editorial, and commercial clients such as Scholastic, The New York Times, MacMillan, Medium, HarperCollins, Sudio, and many more. I am often hired for my ability to convey emotions and create pieces that are highly conceptual. Being able to use unique metaphors and imagery in my work has helped me to be more trusted as a professional artist because my art itself shows what kind of person I am.
I love and enjoy every moment of my career! I hope I can share this feeling with anyone who loves art and wants to visually express their thoughts and experience. Hence, I am collaborating with Class101 to create this online illustration course for you.
Q: How did you first start doing what you do?
I went to Ringling College in Florida and to help pay for the tuition, I began taking on freelance projects. During my first two years, my portfolio did not have a unique look and they led me to get jobs that were not too rewarding, both financially and personally.
I decided to spend my final year developing a new body of work, one that has images with subject matters that I really cared about. This portfolio got me my first job right after graduation, creating a book cover for Scholastic right after graduating. People started sharing my works online and I began getting constant freelance projects. Without realizing, a year passed and I managed to build a client list that includes names such as Scholastic, The New York Times, MacMillan, Medium, HarperCollins, and many more.
This course will teach and guide you on how to effectively utilize different tools such as "digital brushes," "palettes," and "blending options" in Procreate app.
We will help you adjust app settings to optimize your drawing experience.
*Please Note: Students will have to purchase Procreate application ($10 in Apple Store). It is not included in the course package.
- People who want to learn the basics of Procreate
- People who are interested in conceptual illustration
- People who want to learn more about colors
- People who want to express themselves in their drawing
- People who want to build their original illustration style
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
Class Preparation (iPad)
Also, you need an Apple Pencil to take the class. iPad Air, iPad, iPad Pro all works! Do not forget about downloading the 'Procreate' app as well. (Recommended: iPad. Other devices and media are also feasible)
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase.