1. Learn at your own pace in this 20-week online course.
2. Artistic guidance & feedback from the artist herself.
3. Engaged & supportive community of peers to exchange feedback.
4. English subtitles (Original audio in Korean).
5. Enroll now to start learning right away!
1. Learn at your own pace in this 20-week online course.
Step 01 : Choosing a Color Scheme
Colors should indicate the mood and atmosphere of your scene. Learn how to match colors to your theme and enrich your story.
Step 02 : Mise-en-Scène
Mise-en-scène refers to the positioning of your scene. Learn how to develop visual stories and organize the different elements effectively.
Step 03 : An Illustrator’s Secrets
Learn from my years of experience developing quick ways to increase the quality of your illustrations. Learn how to make your own masterpiece with just a few key touches!
Step 04 : Practice Exercises with Paper
Learn about dividing figures into simple shapes! Then practice by cutting up paper and creating different figures.
Step 05 : Simple But Effective Backgrounds
Backgrounds are a big part of illustrations, and have the most paper to cover. Learn about how to create simple backgrounds that create the effects desired.
Step 06: Making Illustrations with Visual Language
I will help you to identify the objective of the scene, and create a story through your illustrations.
Step 07 : Basic Photoshop Skills
Start by learning the commonly-used tools and functions. Then learn about drawing with your tablet and adding layers to complete your illustrations!
Step 08 : Creating Your Own Brush
A cool feature of Photoshop is a tool where you can create your own brush! Learn how to design a brush and use it in your illustrations.
Grab your Wacom tablet and let’s get started! If you don’t have one yet, don’t worry, you can purchase one in one of our packages made specifically for this class!
Draw Illustrations That Look Like They Come From Pixar Movies
Hello, my name is Dong-hyun Lim and I am a freelance illustrator from the French entertainment agency Creasenso. I’ve worked with various companies such as Variety Magazine, Apple, LG, and I would like to share my thoughts and experiences with you through Class 101.
“Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication”
Leonardo da Vinci's quote reminds us that what is special can be found in simplicity. In this class we're going to look at how to draw the essence of a difficult subject in a simpler way.
<ElizabethTown / Double Indemnity>
When you start to draw a picture that seems difficult, just knowing a few touches & techniques you can use will enable you to draw pixar-like illustrations of your own.
Drawing Characters from Movies
I will teach you to cut out simple shapes from paper to form the structure and volume of a figure and then sketch your character on top of that. By using my method, your finished drawing will be able to express the unique characteristics of that figure better than real life.
In the process of simplifying figures from real life to an illustration, learn which aspects you can emphasize or leave out to design your own original character based on your unique taste.
"Mise-en-Scène" - Telling a Story with Scenery
<OCN Thriller House / Brideshead Revisited>
"Mise-en-Scène" refers to the placement of all visual elements within the frame of a scene or image.
Mise-en-scène includes not only the position of the target in the frame, but also the formative elements such as the angle and the size of the shot. I will teach you to interpret a single image by considering mise-en-scène to compose a complete illustration that tells a story.
Title: "SOS (· · · – – – · · ·)"
You will walk away from this course having mastered:
- How to set the right size for the shot
- How interpretation can change based on the angle
- The symbolism of each space in the frame
Learn the basic principles of visual language and create illustrations with clear stories.
Using color to emphasize your story
Like Mise-en-Scène, color can also tell a story, even when you only apply a few key hues in your illustration. I will teach you to understand how color can be used to form the contrasts and harmonies within a frame.
<Monocle Issue 103>
Through this class you will explore each element of illustration, and start seeing the world in a new light.
Movie <Because I Love You>
Pixar-Inspired Digital Drawing Class
- Meet Lim Donghyun: illustrator, artist, and your instructor
- Introducing the class: making your own travel illustrations
- Preparing for the class: Adobe Photoshop and Wacom tablet
01. The Basics of Photoshop
- The basic configurations and settings for Photoshop
- The core tools and functions
- What are layers and how do I use them?
02. Drawing People
- Analyzing and simplifying people
- Drawing hands and feet the easy way
- Adding clothes: drawing fashion illustrations
03. Drawing People With Paper Shapes
- Using simple shapes to break down poses
- Using paper to construct shapes
- Back to Photoshop: adding colors and simple details
04. Drawing Backgrounds
- Understanding perspective
- Simplifying objects while keeping three-dimensionality
- Tips to drawing simple but detailed backgrounds
05. Mise-en-Scène: Creating a Story through Images
- Using colors: harmony and contrast
- Using colors: choosing the right colors based on your subject
- Mise-en-scène: what are layouts?
- Using formative elements to create a drawing: sketch
- Using formative elements to create a drawing: coloring
06. The Visual Language
- Brideshead Revisited: sketch
- Brideshead Revisited: coloring
- Double Indemnity: sketch
- Double Indemnity: coloring
07. Editing to Completion
- How to use the Adjustment layer
- The details that make illustrations look like movie scenes
- Simple but effective: expressing light and shadows
Bonus: Creating Your Own Brush
Designing and using brush tools
Bonus: Answer to the Question
Face expressions and How to develop ad Idea
Outro: Congratulations on Finishing the Class!
In closing: Lim Donghyun’s parting thoughts
Hi, I'm Illustrator Donghyun Lim.
I'm a member of the French entertainment agency, Creasenso, and I study and work to make illustrations that tell stories. I have worked with clients such as Apple, LG Electronics, Shinsegae International, Oxford University Press, Monocle Magazine, and Variety Magazine.
There was a lot of buzz with the introduction of the Netflix film Okja at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival. I made an illustration as a project with the intent of conveying a simple but essential message.
I would like to share with you the whole process from the theory of screen composition to completing illustrations.
- People who want to learn the basics of visual language and design illustrations
- People who are interested in drawing simple but charismatic characters
- People who want to draw scenes like an animator for Pixar or Disney
- People who are interested in digital drawing
- This class uses Adobe Photoshop CC/CS
- Adobe Photoshop is a subscription-based paid software
- To take this class, you need to have access to Adobe Photoshop
- The class will fully cover how to use and apply the program
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
Quadpay is available for the payment! Your order will be split into 4 installments paid over 6 weeks! To find out more, please visit Quadpay.
You need to have your own Adobe Photoshop to take the class. For more information, please visit adobe.com
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase. Please check your inbox or spam!