1. Learn at your own pace in this 32-week online course.
2. Artistic guidance & feedback from the artist herself.
3. Engaged & supportive community of peers to exchange feedback.
4. English subtitles (Original audio in Korean).
5. Class starts after August 4th, 2020,
Find Your Own Drawing Style: An Introduction to Digital Drawing on the iPad
Buy One, Get One
We are offering this chance only to the first 100 classmates. Enjoy the promotion before it’s too late.
1. Learn at your own pace in this 32-week online course.
See for yourself to the improvements our classmates have made in this course!
134 students enrolled and 96% said they were satisfied with this course.
Oh, I've finally finished! It feels like this is the only thing I’ve done all day. I think the class was about an hour, but I did it for more than three hours. I'm so proud even though my back feels like it is about to break! The apartment windows were really hard, hahahahaha.
I was curious about how to draw a transparent glass. I’m happy that I was able to learn from this lesson. Now I can draw it on my own! I’m looking forward to the next lesson
-by Hyunjin Kim
It’s so fascinating that I can make an animation so easily.
In what style will you draw?
Hello, I’m Jay, an illustrator who focuses on character and character-oriented drawings.
What do you want to draw? I like to complete the picture by adding elements from my own imagination and scenery I fell in love with. I want to share with you this inspirational process.
Record the things you want to draw as photos
Objects, scenery, and people, Everything into an iPad drawing.
In this class, we are going to combine 3 elements into illustrations: objects, people, and scenery. By drawing materials that we encounter in everyday life, we will overcome your fears of painting and develop your drawing skills so that you can draw moments in everyday life or while you travel!
Step 1. Drawing Objects
Recreate your coffee table
We will start with easy steps, practicing with small objects to warm up.
I like to draw a memorable object each day; a diary, a cup of coffee at a cafe, a delicious snack, or a cute new accessory. Drawings can capture the feelings of your day stronger than text. Start by drawing the little elements around you.
Step 2. Drawing Scenery
Record moments that you don’t want to forget
Draw the moments you've captured in your photos into illustrations. Photos don't fully capture the scenery in the way you see them. They don’t capture the sheer awe of a sunrise on the beach, or the brilliance of the lights on an empty track at night. I’ll show you how to draw scenes with bolder colors and composition.
Use vanishing points and Procreate's drawing guides to make drawing scenery a little easier.
I'll also show you how to add shadows to enhance the depth of your drawings and how to color to increase the quality of the illustration.
Step 3. Drawing People
Drawing people add stories to illustration. But it can be difficult, and so I practiced endlessly. I have found that drawing with a few tips will make it easier to draw a character. I’ll teach you the tricks I’ve learned for drawing any person in any pose, flawlessly.
In the class, I'll teach you about simple lines and shade, and drawing people using only a few colors. We will start with special characteristics and lifestyles as a concept, then work from there. You’ll be able to practice various poses, and even beginners will be able to master drawing people.
By the end of class, you will walk away with many skills, such as how to express faces according to the angle, how to portray the wrinkle in clothes, and easily drawing your hands and feet. I want to show you how to simply draw what you see with pictures and take away the pressure of drawing according to specific rules.
I’ll even show you an easy way to add animation
In ProCreate, it is possible to convert files to gif and mp4, making it ideal for creating animations.
The above animation expresses the feeling of wind blowing blowing through hair with a total of 4 images. I'll show you how to easily create animations by changing only parts of your illustrations. The biggest appeal of digital drawing is that you can easily draw anywhere, anytime!
In addition, it is possible to erase and redraw lines, so there is no burden of making mistakes, and you can try out various techniques, so even beginners can easily find their own style!
Create special illustrations of your own.
Digital drawing with Jay
Step 01 : The Basics of Procreate
The main program we will use in class is the Procreate app. I’ll walk you through the different functions of Procreate, then how to use them to draw.
Step 02 : Drawing Objects
When learning to draw, it’s best to start by drawing the objects around you. I’ll walk you through how to simplify and sketch objects, then add depth by expressing shadows.
Step 03 : Drawing Scenery
Learning to draw scenery is our next step. I’ll show you how to sketch trees, draw buildings using vanishing points, express lights at night, and tips for drawing any scenery.
Step 04 : Drawing People
Oftentimes, the thing people struggle with most are drawings of people. I’ll show you the simple way of drawing hands, feet, facial features, and bodies at various angles and poses.
Step 05 : Combining Everything into an Illustration
It’s time to put objects, scenery, and people into an illustration of your own. I’ll help you practice by creating an illustration of a person with a loving pet on a lazy afternoon.
Step 06 : Adding Finishing Touches
Textures, patterns, and color correction will help your illustrations stand out. After the coloring steps, I’ll show you how to complete your illustration with all these techniques and additional ways you can add details.
Welcome to Jay’s Digital Drawing Class
- Introducing the class: Drawing illustrations in your own style on an iPad
- Meet Jay: Illustrator, designer, and your instructor
- The tools you need for class: an iPad, Apple Pencil and Procreate
- A guide to Procreate ver5
01. The Basics of Procreate
- How to use the basic tools and gestures
- How to use and customize the common brushes
- How to set up your canvas and manage your gallery
- How to use masks and layers
02. Drawing the Objects Around Us
- Warm-up: Drawing simple shapes
- How to observe and sketch objects
- How to add details and color
- How to artfully arrange your objects
03. In Application: Drawing Your Coffee Table
- Using what you’ve learned to add colors
- Sketching an aromatic coffee table
- Drawing patterns to make your illustrations richer
- Finishing your illustration by adding shadows
04. Capturing the Scenes You See
- The basics of landscapes: How to draw trees
- How to draw city elements with vanishing points and drawing guides
- How to create depth with colors and contrast
- Finishing your illustration by adding details
05. In Application: Drawing a Night Scene at the Track
- Sketching an ordinary scene with dramatic contrasts
- Expressing a night atmosphere with silhouettes and a brush
- Adding the effect of lights with layer style effects
- Finishing your illustration with textures that give a sense of depth
06. Drawing People
- How facial proportions change based on angles
- How body proportions change based on angles
- How to easily draw the hands and feet
- Practice: drawing figures in various poses
- How to create a simple animation with your characters
07. In Practice: Drawing a Person Walking in the Rain
- Composing the scene and sketching the big elements
- Adding the basic colors and shadows
- Creating a dreamlike atmosphere using layer masks and effects
- Expressing the feeling of rain using adjustment functions and brushes
08. Combining Objects, People, and Scenery into an Illustration
- Visualizing and sketching the objects, people, and scenery onto your screen
- Adding in a sketch of your pet, then coloring
- Using light and shadow to bring out depth
- Using your drawing to create a background
- Creating warmth in your illustration with color correction
Outro: Congratulations on Finishing the Class!
In closing: Jay’s parting thoughts
Hi. I’m Jay, an illustrator and designer.
I work in various fields such as character design, illustration and web design. I create webtoons, emoticons, goods, etc. around my character 'Chocoshu', and additionally, have been working on drawing figures. I gathered some of my work and produced a short picture book. Here is a photo of the book.
I think I have been drawing pictures as a habit since I was very young. I have spent time practicing while always trying to draw better. Painting is still my best hobby. You can see my work in more detail when you come to my Instagram.
If you want to express something in pictures, you can start here.
I will teach you how to draw. Let’s have fun drawing together!
- Those who want to learn how to draw using an iPad
- People who want to learn how to paint but don’t know where to start
- People who want to use their free time to learn something special
- People who want to paint a unique picture of their own
- People who want to learn a new, enriching hobby
This course will teach and guide you on how to effectively utilize different tools such as "digital brushes," "palettes," and "blending options" in Procreate app.
We will help you adjust app settings to optimize your drawing experience.
*Please Note: Students will have to purchase Procreate application ($10 in Apple Store). It is not included in the course package.
Be one of the first 40 backers for this class, and help us bring it to the world in English!
We have launched this class in Korea where it gathered more than 100+ students and a 96% satisfaction rate.
The first 40 backers who buy early and help us with the crowdfunding will have the extraordinary opportunity to enjoy the class for only $99.
After the crowdfunding reaches its goal, the cost will rise (original price: $150).
Don't miss out on your chance to get this temporary 34% discount.
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 32 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
Super Early Bird Offer
Once we pass the release date, we will no longer offered the class at "Super Early Bird". The rate will be raised after the date, right now is the cheapest deal you can get.
Class Preparation (iPad)
Also, you need an Apple Pencil to take the class. iPad Air, iPad, iPad Pro all works! Do not forget about downloading the 'Procreate' app as well.
Class videos will be available by the August 4th. We will notify you via email regarding how to access to the class videos on the release date.