1. Go at your own pace in this 20-week online course
2. Artistic guidance & pointers from the instructor
3. Supportive peer community exchanging feedback
4. Enroll now to start learning right away!
1. Go at your own pace in this 20-week online course
Make Fantasy Settings and Characters
Digital Illustration and Procreate Class with
Do you have a favorite doodle in your sketchbook that has been lying at the corner forever? Did you think that your doodle looks lonely all by itself? If so, this class will help you find ways to give friends and homes to your favorite doodle. I will help you to build marvelous creatures and the world around them.
Throughout the class, you will learn to design and create your own fantasy world and its citizens, magical creatures, from start to finish. My course will take you through different exercises and missions to turn your sketchbook doodles into a professional and rendered looking characters.
At the end of the course, you will have a finished illustration that you can hang on your wall or share with your loved ones as a gift! If you like mythical characters and want to create your own, this class is for you!
This course is excellent for anyone interested in practicing digital drawing and creating a unique universe with their original story behind it.
This course is also great for people with any drawing skills, from beginners to intermediate: from children who want to give homes to their imaginary friends, to adults who wish to convey their original characters and share with others. If you have your own story without its face, this class is perfect for you.
By the end of this class, your work will no longer be a doodle, but a completed illustration. By following each step, you will learn:
- Shape design
- Color theory
- Background design
- Tone and Atmosphere
Your class videos and missions throughout the course will help you with your future art projects and eventually help you to become a professional artist.
Step 1: How to Design a World for Your Original Characters
Step 2: How to Add Appropriate Colors and Textures
Step 3: How to Master Shading Technique
Step 4: How to add a Unique and Magical Atmosphere
- Meet Lulu: Visual development Artist & Your Instructor
- Introduction to Lulu’s class to build your own magical world
- Let’s take a look at the workspace and Procreate
Chapter 1: Overview of Procreate
- Introduction to Procreate, and its commonly used tools
- Mastering Layers: when and how to use Layers
- Understanding and practicing the tools setting
Chapter 2: How to Design cute and Magical characters
- Brainstorming shape and size of your character
- Making Development/Exploration Sketches
- Making Development/Exploration Sketches part 2
- Designing props for your character
Chapter 3: Setting up a dreamlike background
- Exploring with composition through thumbnail sketches
- Exploring with composition through thumbnail sketches part 2
- Creating a balanced composition that tells a story part 1
- Creating a balanced composition that tells a story part 2
Chapter 4: Designing a World for Your Magical Creatures
- Designing background elements: Exploring with shapes and sizes part 1
- Designing background elements: Exploring with shapes and sizes part 2
- Designing their house and where they live part 1
- Designing their house and where they live part 2
- Adding cute characters inspired by nature
Chapter 5: Developing a Color Palette
- Understanding color theory
- Grasping color therapy/Chromotherapy
- Creating your own magical color palette part 1
- Creating your own magical color palette part 2
Chapter 6: Turning Your Characters from 2D to 3D
- Understanding Different light source
- Practicing shades with different Light source: Frontal lighting
- Practicing shades with different Light source: Backlighting
- Practicing shades with different Light source: Edge lighting
- Practicing shades with different Light source: Candlelight
- Rendering techniques
Chapter 7: Creating a Final Illustration
- Time to introduce your character to the world
- Adding harmonious colors to your illustration
- Applying textures without making a mess part 1
- Applying textures without making a mess part 2
- Creating a magical atmosphere
- Adding glow to your illustration
Bonus Chapter: How to Make your Drawing Original
- How I developed my original style
- Tips and tricks to help you develop your unique style
1. Congratulations on Completing the Course
About the Instructor
You can call me Lulu. I am an illustrator, animator, and visual development artist who loves nature and cute chubby animals.
I studied children's book illustrations in San Francisco, London, and Toronto. I currently live in Toronto, exploring and creating daily art to create my original animation. While studying in these countries, I worked on concept art, and illustration tutorial works for advertising companies and publishing companies such as Penguin Book, 3D Total, and Nexus Studio. Right now, I am launching my own company, called "Salu Studio" in Taiwan.
My experience as a freelance artist and art student from different countries has taught me how to manage time, create different styles to meet requests from different clients, and stay creative even in crazy schedules! Every experience I have had along the way helped me learn something new, and I cannot wait to share all of my tips and tricks on drawing cute and relaxing illustrations with you, and help you get started on building "one and only" world of yours!
Q: How did you first start doing what you do?
I started drawing when I was little. I loved doodling in my handmade sketchbook, and it has always been my dream to start my own business to turn my work into an actual film. When I was 18, I decided to leave Taiwan to follow my dream despite all the different opinions, trying to convince me not to be an artist. I have been the happiest person in the world, immersing myself in the creative world, sharing my work with others.
I started sharing my work process and finished paintings on social media, and that's how I had a chance to collaborate with other companies. It initially started as an interest, but now it has been supporting me to become a freelance artist while studying animation.
This course will teach and guide you on how to effectively utilize different tools such as "digital brushes," "palettes," and "blending options" in Procreate app.
We will help you adjust app settings to optimize your drawing experience.
*Please Note: Students will have to purchase Procreate application ($10 in Apple Store). It is not included in the course package.
- People who are interested in children book's illustration
- People who want to convey their imaginary world into drawings
- People who are interested in drawing mythical creatures and landscape
- People who want to use Procreate and its tools
- People who want to understand color theory and its usage
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
Class Preparation (iPad)
Also, you need an Apple Pencil to take the class. iPad Air, iPad, iPad Mini, and iPad Pro that supports Apple Pencil, all works! Do not forget about downloading the 'Procreate' app as well.
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase. Please check your inbox or spam!
Select class option