1. Learn at your own pace in this 20-week online course.
2. Artistic guidance & feedback from the artist himself
3. Engaged & supportive community of peers to exchange feedback.
4. English subtitles (Original audio in Korean)
5. Enroll now to start learning right away!
Learn Retro & City Pop Style Anime Drawing on iPad
Buy One, Get One
We are offering this chance only to the first 100 classmates. Enjoy the promotion before it’s too late.
1. Learn at your own pace in this 20-week online course.
See for yourself to the improvements our classmates have made in this course!
479 students enrolled and 84% said they were satisfied with this course.
I finally finished the background after a long time. Learning was so enjoyable. Thank you for the great lessons
-by Lee Bomi
Adding and rearranging this and that in the background was really fun! Just changing the background changes the atmosphere so much!
-by Yoon Sun Ah
Step 01 : The basics of iPad drawing
Learn the essential skills and basic tools needed when using Procreate
Step 02 : Master basic drawing skills for retro drawing
Learn the simple and easy-to-follow principles of retro drawing through drawing sample retro items.
Step 03 : An ample understanding of light and colors
Learn how colors change depending on light and how to create color schemes and contrast with what you learn.
Step 04 : Producing a retro feel from adding layouts
Learn how to create a rustic and sophisticated feel from layouts you can quickly and easily create.
Step 05 : Creating retro-style characters
Learn to create animated characters that look like they come from 80's and 90's animations
Tree 13 will take you back in time with 80's style retro drawings.
It is good to be clumsy. The retro feel doesn't just come from the perfect picture.
Even if you end up with a clumsily-drawn picture, adding a taste of retro would make it look like a scene from a retro animation. It wouldn't be perfect, but I believe it will help you get a better picture. Each line you draw will come together to create a retro mood.
Fully and freely use all the elements of retro.
By the end of the class, you will be able to portray a number of retro items, including in the layout and composition. You can also acquire basic design skills that you can apply to modern times.
The retro style taught here is rare but has its unique charm that appeals to many. By actively applying basic designs and lettering, it can be packaged to appear like a part of an editorial print design.
In addition, although not at the level of polarization and full caricature, it is easy to learn by quickly assembling and coloring items through simple expressions.
- Introducing the course
- Meet Tree 13: illustrator, artist, and your instructor
- Let’s look at the materials needed for this course
- Quick Tutorial: Using the Split-View mode on the iPad
- How to download the attachment files
01.Getting Used to iPad Drawing
- Basic Controls and Functions: Exploring some Procreate features
- How pressure changes how lines are expressed
- Textures and Patterns: Coloring with brushes
02. Drawing Retro Items
- Walkman, Cassettes, and More: Introducing some retro items
- Tracing: Let's learn how to draw by tracing our reference retro items on Procreate
03. Chibi Characters: From Visualization to Simple Sketch
- Retro Characters: Visualization of a concept
- Starting from Scratch: Sketching a figure through deforme
04. Adding Retro Elements
- How Colors Are Affected by Light: Coloring your character
- Color themes, and using layers to control them
- Tracing Shadows: The element that add a retro taste
05. Easy-to-Make and Reuseable: Background Layouts
- Retro history: What makes a layout "retro"?
- Patterns and color themes: Creating your own layout
06. My Own and Only One
- Using your layouts: Adding your characters to your layouts
- Layers and tones: Using filters
- (Optional) Producing cell animations with Photoshop (no video)
Bonus Chapter: Let Me Show You My Work
From Start to Finish: Production demonstration
Congratulations on completing the course!
Illustrator Tree 13
Hello, I'm Tree 13, a digital art illustrator.
I was greatly influenced by the entire domestic and overseas subcultures and the contents of the end of the last millennium, and draw illustrations that have the appeal and unique charm of contemporary retro drawing using quick and exotic expressions.
I didn’t really have a connection to retro. I was at the end of the analog drawing generation, and I wasn’t skilled enough to find it on my own and enjoy it.
The beauty of passing time. The traces of the past. The experimental spirit of the transition. As a result of searching many references to find the index of my art, I settled on the result of the regression of the present retro as a goal to reach the original artistry.
Indulge in everything Retro.
I developed my illustrations in a way that I learned from the past rather than the design and illustration of the current generation that has become uniform. The combination of the exaggerated reflected light of the '80s and the simple dotted line, the exploration of three-dimensional font design, and the composition and color unique to nostalgic cell animations. Indulging in all of that stimulated me to the present day.
Time-lapsed but sure! I want to truly portray the mood of a true retro.
- People who like the retro feel
- People who want to challenge a genre other than watercolor style illustration
- People who want to broaden their spectrum of colors
- In addition to the simple illustrations, people who want to learn shallow and wide retro design
This course will teach and guide you on how to effectively utilize different tools such as "digital brushes," "palettes," and "blending options" in Procreate app.
We will help you adjust app settings to optimize your drawing experience.
*Please Note: Students will have to purchase Procreate application ($10 in Apple Store). It is not included in the course package.
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
Super Early Bird Offer
Once we pass the release date, we will no longer offered the class at "Super Early Bird". The rate will be raised after the date, right now is the cheapest deal you can get.
Class Preparation (iPad)
Also, you need an Apple Pencil to take the class. iPad Air, iPad, iPad Pro all works! Do not forget about downloading the 'Procreate' app as well.
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase.