1. Go at your own pace in this 32-week online course
2. Artistic guidance & pointers from the instructor
3. Supportive peer community exchanging feedback
4. Class is in production. Start learning after November 18th
Character Design: Narrative Illustration from Concept to Final
Buy One, Get One
We are offering this chance only to the first 100 classmates. Enjoy the promotion before it’s too late.
1. Go at your own pace in this 32-week online course
The Intermediate Level Course
Learn Digital Drawing for Character Designs with
Take your character designs to the next level by taking them off the white page, and building a
deeper narrative for them through their environment, outfit, weapons, and overall design.
In this course I will go over my method of coming up with a narrative driven character concept; taking a slice of the story to help you present your characters in a fully detailed illustration.
The class will cover:
- The planning and research phase. Collecting references, and starting concept sketches.
- Character study and combining references for later details.
- Sketching out the scene, and an overview of the photo texture I plan to use later on.
- Inking the scene, and doing the flat color.
- Building on top of the flat layers to create a quick color test, intro to photobashing, and
adding textures to the image.
- Planning the scene, and the first phase of rendering.
- Organizing your folders, and using your photo textures to add details to your rendering.
- Start with the main character and move to the background using the above method of
photobashing and painting.
- Final touches, and color adjustments to finalize the piece.
level of conceptualization. As well as an introduction to new tools; students will learn how to
organize files, photobash, where to look for references and textures, and finally how to make it all fit
in a single artwork.
backstory by world building, and creating solid concept foundations that will lead to a captivating
illustration . The class will reveal the many tools illustrators use to build their scenes, from
photobashing and adding textures, to creating your own objects and textures.
Step 1: How to approach complex illustrations and concepts
Step 2: Expanding your library of resources
Step 3: Tips and trick to help get the job done
Step 4: Photobashing: from start to finish
Step 5: Composing different ideas in a powerful illustration
- Meet your instructor: Noobovich!
- Introduction to the course
Chapter 1: Planning and research phase: collecting references and starting concept sketches
- Writing a brief idea
- Finding references: resources and sites
- Setting up your workspace
- Storytelling and adding narratives to your sketches
Chapter 2: Character concept
- Writing a brief character overview
- Using references to sketch character concepts
- Designing elements and props
Chapter 3: Sketching out the scene
- Combining all the designed elements in one scene
- Sketching thumbnails
- Planning composition and cleaning the drawing
- Adding colors to test the sketch
Chapter 4: Intro to Daz3D, posing the character, setting up lights & rendering
- Introduction to using Daz3D to pose the character
- Setting up lights in Daz
- Rendering in Daz
- Using the render as a reference
Chapter 5: Intro to photo bashing & adding textures
- Introduction to photo bashing
- Getting quality photo textures: sites and resources
- How to use photo textures
- Fixing and adding the textures to fit your artwork
Chapter 6: Planning the scene, first phase of rendering
- Organizing layer groups
- Rendering and making the scene readable
Chapter 7: Rendering the main character
- Using references to start the rendering
- Flat colors and shadows
- Under paint: building up you rendering with your design kept
- Rendering the face
- Adding photo-textures to enhance the character.
Chapter 8: Rending the background, photo bashing, painting
- Photobashing (2)
- How to balance painting in photo bashing
- Integrating brushwork with photos
Chapter 9: Final touches
- Adjusting the colors
- Refining the details and testing ideas
- Exporting and managing files for portfolio
1. Congratulations on Completing the Course
About the Instructor
My artwork “Skating Giants” ranked 6th top digital illustration worldwide on Artstation for the year 2018. Although teaching is not my profession but I run a live critique on my twitch channel which gives me the chance to interact with aspiring artists and beginners and help them push to the next level. I also have 2 narrated tutorials on my portfolio that got a lot of praise where I go over my character rendering process step by step.
Q: How did you first start doing what you do?
interesting projects that put my skills to the test along the way.
- This class uses Adobe Photoshop CC/CS
- Adobe Photoshop is a subscription-based paid software
- To take this class, you need to have access to Adobe Photoshop
- People who want to create original concept art
- People who want to build their original character from scratch
- People who want to learn 3D art
- People who want to understand and apply photo bashing
- People who want to give completed background behind their character
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 32 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
Super Early Bird Offer
Once we pass the release date, we will no longer offered the class at "Super Early Bird". The rate will be raised after the date, right now is the cheapest deal you can get.
You need to have your own Adobe Photoshop to take the class.
Class videos will be available by November 18th. We will notify you via email regarding how to access to the class videos on the release date.