1. Learn at your own pace in this 32week online course.
2. Artistic guidance & feedback from the artist herself.
3. Engaged & supportive community of peers to exchange feedback.
4. English subtitles (Original audio in Korean).
5. Class starts after August 21st.
Learn How to Design and Draw Your Own Anime Characters With a Tablet
Buy One, Get One
We are offering this chance only to the first 100 classmates. Enjoy the promotion before it’s too late.
1. Learn at your own pace in this 32week online course.
Create your own anime character illustrations
Hello, I'm Pesa, an illustrator who wants to embody happiness and hope into illustrations that tell a story. Little by little, I drew scenes of things I like and wished for and it brought me here to Class101.
The world of art
Art is a tool and a means to express various feelings such as a person's wishes, emotions, and thoughts in a visual form beyond a simple object, a person, and a landscape, and sometimes express a person and communicate with them. As the possibilities are endless, it is something that many people pursue.
Starting alone can be scary
Are you worried about whether or not you’ll be able to finish even a single illustration or that it’ll take forever to complete it? Don't worry too much. There is no fixed answer in drawing. I'll help you until the illustration you want comes out. Through this class, you’ll learn everything you need to know from visualization to the post-coloring editing.
Is there anything I need to prepare?
I usually draw using a tablet with a screen and the Paint Tool SAI program. As I use it as my main tool, Paint Tool SAI is needed for the class, but it is not essential to have the exact same working environment with the exact same tablet as me. The goal is to make the class applicable to various devices and programs. However, you need to know that the characteristics of each program may be different, so there may be slight differences when you take the class using different software.
Controlling the expression of your brushes
Just by adding and subtracting pressure to your lines, you can greatly improve the quality of your illustrations. There are many ways to adjust pressure of lines, but I'm going to show you all the different methods you can use and how I use each one.
Exploring the human body and applying it to your drawings
If you learn about the basic structure and proportions of the human body and how to apply it in my drawings, drawing characters becomes easy! Based on this, I’ll show you how to compose various poses and compositions, and organize your screen to capture your viewers’ eyes.
Draw an ideal face and various expressions
Learn the basic structure and proportions of your face, and express the ideal face that meets your standards and aesthetics. In addition, I will teach you how to portray age and personality of the character, and how proportions of the face vary depending on the angle.
Expressing the folds and wrinkles in clothes
When drawing, there are many people who have difficulty expressing wrinkles in clothing. First, we will practice looking at the wrinkles of clothes as a single flow. It is as if the water flows on the surface of an object, and the silhouette is captured and expressed. In addition, we will learn how expression changes with a bend in the joints, differing thicknesses of the fabric, and varying materials.
Color the way you want
Have you ever thought that the colors you choose don't match each other and seem to play separately? Let's learn how to combine natural colors with complementary colors, analogous colors, and use light and shadows to select natural colors while matching. There are various coloring techniques that can work for you. You don't have to stick with just one method. Take the time to find a coloring method that you like and that suits your style.
Completing a high quality illustration
Take the above process and draw an illustration. Starting with deciding on your subject and creating a story, I will help you envision your screen and express the character you want in the way you want. With me, you’ll be able to draw a unique illustration of your own.
I support all of you :D
I think that people will apply for this class for a variety of reasons, such as 'I want to learn to draw for the first time', 'I want to restart drawing after a long break’, or ‘I have been drawing for a while, but I feel like I’m still not good enough'. The drawing itself can be difficult and awkward, but I hope that you can have fun and continue to draw through the classes and through your own activities. I will always support my students' activities!
Step 01 : Controlling the Strength of your Lines
A change in pressure when drawing lines can change the thickness and depth of your lines. Learn how to create different effects by manipulating pressure.
Step 02 : Graceful Coloring
Color creates the mood and atmosphere of your illustrations. Learn about expressing light and contrast, and how to choose natural color schemes. Then, I will show you how to slowly incorporate color into your sketches.
Step 03 : Understanding the Human Body
With enough understanding about the human body, you can draw any human figure in any pose. Learn about how bodies move, how their proportions change based on angle, then how to recreate those shapes onto your canvas.
Step 04 : The Illustration Process
Character illustration is an art that can be divided into many smaller steps. From visualizing your scene, to the final editing, I’ll walk you through the entire illustration process so you can create on your own.
Step 05 : Mastering Paint Tool SAI
The main tool we will use in class is Paint Tool SAI. I’ll teach you the basic functions of the program, along with how to set up your shortcuts, and secret techniques I use to get a better illustration.
Welcome to Pesa’s Digital Drawing Class
- Meet Pesa: illustrator, artist, and your instructor
- Introducing the class: Creating detailed character illustrations
- Setting up your tablet and Paint Tool SAI
01. The Basics of SAI
- The different functions and tools
- How to use layers
- Understanding and setting up shortcuts
02. Controlling the Strength of your Lines
- Exploring the different types of brushes and their settings
- How to freely control the strength of your lines
- How to manipulate the depth and thickness of your lines
03. Understanding the Structure and Proportions of the Body
- The structure and proportions of muscles
- The structure and proportions of hands and feet
- How to change body shapes based on people’s unique characteristics
- Practicing various forms and poses
04. Drawing Perfect Faces
- The structure and proportions of the face
- How to express a person’s unique facial characteristics
- Understanding how proportions change with angle
- How to portray hair
05. Sketching the Wrinkles in Clothes
- The shape and flow of wrinkles
- How wrinkles change based on angles
- How wrinkles change based on material
06. Coloring your Character
- How to choose a natural color scheme
- How to express light and contrast
- How to use complementary and analogous colors
- How to get a watercolor texture
07. Completing the Illustration
- Visualizing your character and scene
- Establishing the layers and layout of your illustration
- Sketching and adding details
- Coloring based on your desired mood and atmosphere
- Editing your illustration and adding effects
Outro: Congratulations on Finishing the Class!
In closing: Pesa’s parting thoughts
Sharing the happiness of drawing
I was fascinated by the colorful merits of paintings, and so I continued to draw. Drawing to me is a natural act like breathing, and it's a great thing to cherish in everyday life. That's why I would like to encourage many people to recognize the loveliness of illustration and pick their brush up once again.
If you can express anything you see and feel without a clear plan or extensive painting knowledge, I think you are already a great artist. If any of these processes are still unfamiliar to you or you lack confidence in expression, I would like to help.
I hope that the people of Class101 experience a world full of charm that I love.
- People who are interested in art but are reluctant to start
- People who like soft and warm pictures
- People who want to draw light and refreshing pictures
- People who want to create their own anime character illustrations
- People who want to learn a new, enriching hobby
- This class uses Paint Tool SAI
- Paint Tool SAI is a subscription-based paid software
- To take this class, you need to have access to Paint Tool SAI
- The class will fully cover how to use and apply the program
Be one of the first 40 backers for this class, and help us bring it to the world in English!
We have launched this class in Korea where it gathered more than 200+ students and a 98% satisfaction rate.
The first 40 backers who buy early and help us with the crowdfunding will have the extraordinary opportunity to enjoy the class for only $99.
After the crowdfunding reaches its goal, the cost will rise (original price: $217).
Don't miss out on your chance to get this temporary 54% discount.
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 32 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
Super Early Bird Offer
Once we pass the release date, we will no longer offered the class at "Super Early Bird". The rate will be raised after the date, right now is the cheapest deal you can get.
You need to have your own Paint Tool SAI to take the class. For more information, please visit SAI
Class videos will be available by the August 21th.
We will notify you via email regarding how to access
to the class videos on the release date.
Q. I’m new to drawing. Can I still follow along?
This class provides basic theories for beginners to learn digital drawing, and there may be individual differences, but you should have much difficulty in taking classes. However, if you have experience with digital work, you may feel impatient because the speed is not as fast as you would like it. I think it's important to keep this in mind and draw slowly and consistently with me.
Q. Is it okay to use programs other than Paint Tool SAI?
Since it is a class that is based on SAI, sometimes it can be confusing or functions can not be replicated on other programs, but most other programs will have the basic functions i’ll teach, including layering, using a clipping mask, changing brush size, and density adjustment. As long as you have these functions in your other program, you should be fine for the most part!
Q. Does the class require a tablet?
Absolutely not. If you use the device you want, in the environment you prefer, you will be much more comfortable when taking classes.