1. Learn at your own pace in this 20 week online course.
2. Artistic guidance & feedback from the artist herself.
3. Engaged & supportive community of peers to exchange feedback.
4. English subtitles (Original audio in Korean).
5. Enroll now to start learning right away!
1. Learn at your own pace in this 20 week online course.
The World of Character Design
All of us have already been creators. Have you ever created a character? When you were a child, you might have had an imaginary best friend, someone from the corners of your mind. That's creation.
It's so fun and exciting at first. The characters you create move at your will, are always there for you, and understood you like no one ever could. I’ll show you how you can create again.
The character below is a character I scribbled without thinking.
Who is this? What are you doing here? Is this character good or evil? What does it look like? Can you imagine how this character smiles? Characters will not survive unless they can gain the empathy of viewers.
Now, can you see what to do when you see the 500 won from the character above?
There are three options.
1. The character picked it up and brought it to the police station.
2. The character passed by without picking up.
3. The character picked it up and put it in their pocket.
In order to know the correct answer, you need to pay attention to the background of this character.
After setting up your story, people can understand the character's personality and behavioral patterns.
Real people are very complicated. Everyone has a trauma, big or small, and has unique tastes and ideas. People are driven by the 'self' that determines who they are.
If you apply this person's psychology to a character, you can really bring your character to life.
After writing the character's narrative, the next step is to create a character sheet. The character sheet fills in all the gaps you need to fill, showing your character in different expressions and poses.
Anyone can write a story, but a good story comes from learning.
After taking this class, you will be able to create stories that are engrossing to anyone who sees.
Drawing more diverse characters
"Every character drawn is the same!"
The students in my class are always worried about this, and it's also something I've struggled with a lot in the past. What kind of practice do you need to draw different characters?
Most of the problems come from your specific tastes. Because there is only one style of characters you like, and it will be all you’ll be drawn to create without studying further character styles.
Knowing the wide spectrum of character types and researching popular styles for those characters, you can create more amazing characters.
And in this class, I will present a breakthrough not only for character backgrounds, but also for their visuals.
Image a fantasy
After organizing your characters and world in harmony, you will learn how to draw images that make the story magical. In addition, I will teach you design tips to let your character's personality shine through your art.
I had a lot of opportunities to work as a character concept designer in a variety of fantasy worlds, and in the process I learned a lot about the character creation and work concept.
Practical design tips that are not shared anywhere else will also be shared with you in this class.
In this class, you will refine the world you have created to be more convincing and three-dimensional, and put in your creative characters in it to create an entrancing story.
The result will remain as a detailed character sheet that has been polished under professional feedback, an image board that can remind you of various scenes, and concept art that puts everything together.
I will help you become a visual storyteller who can continue to expand your own world even after class has finished.
Mirror your life into your own fantasy world!
Digital design with Qmeng.
Step 01 : Photoshop’s Hidden Features
There are hidden functions that even some pros don’t know about. I’ll show you all the secret shortcuts I use when I work. Become a master of editing!
Step 02 : Drawing a Character’s Personality
A great artist can show a character’s personality through their character’s visual. I’ll show you how you can draw a memorable character whose personality shines on the outside.
Step 03 : The Secret to Self-Taught Mastery
I am a self-taught artist, and you can be too! I’ll teach you how to study on your own and become a pro artist, all by yourself.
Step 04 : Illustrations that Tell a Story
Your illustrations should be visually catching, each detail adding something to the world you create. Learn how to create eye-catching scenes.
Step 05 : Adding Colors
Colors take the same picture, and give a whole new meaning. Learn about the fundamentals of color schemes, then add colors to give your illustrations a new feeling.
Step 06 : Finding Inspiration
It’s okay if you struggle to find ideas to work off. I’ll show you a surefound way of finding inspiration from everything around you. Never run out of ideas again!
Step 07 : Creating Your Own Brush
A brush of your own is a great way to personalize your artwork. Learn how you can make a unique illustration just by using your own personalized brush.
Step 08 : Creating Concept Art
Concept art is the perfect display of your creative talent! I’ll walk you through the different types of concept art, and then how to create your own, from the image board to editing.
Welcome to Qmeng’s Digital Drawing Class
- Meet Qmeng: visual storyteller, artist, and your instructor
- Introducing the class: Create your own world through digital drawing
01. The Medium of Photoshop
- Starting with work mode
- Setting up your workspace and learning the shortcuts
- Using and cropping layers
- Using basic and custom brushes
- How to edit images and use hidden features
02. Finding Inspiration
- Where does inspiration come from?
- Stories that start with a character: The Goddess of War, Athena
- Stories that start with a sentence: James steps on a sprout
- Stories that start with a world: The Androids’ Revolt
- How to create a strong idea
03. Writing Character Narratives
- Determining a concept for your character
- Building a real model
- How to set the character’s personality
- How to set the character’s purpose
- Small habits add charm
- In practice: Character profile and narrative writing
- Bonus: How to use utilities - Notebook.ai, Xmind
04. Character Visual Design
- What you need to know for varying character designs
- How to arrange your character’s clothes
- Design Formula 1: Visualizing a character based on a shape
- Design Formula 2: Visualizing a character through flows and stops
- Design Formula 3: Visualizing a character through density of the details and space
- First impressions of the character: Color scheme
05. Making Character Sheets
- The language of postures and expressions
- Creating a character sheet
- Bonus! Creating 10 different characters with the same settings
06. Watching Your World Unfold
- Establishing a concept
- Choosing a genre and setting
- Plot: Creating a story frame
- Scenario: Starting your story
07. Character Visual Design in Application
- What you need to know to design a cast of characters
- Visualizing how your characters interact with your world
- Redesigning your draft to match your world
08. Visualization with Concept Art
- Types of concept art and their purposes
- Image board: The scenes that show the mood
- Sketching the composition of your story
- Simple and quick coloring of your characters
- How to easily draw background concepts with photobashing
- Editing your concept art
09. Catching People’s Eyes with Visual Storytelling
- Composition: Adding words to your scenes
- Colors: Just add light!
- Bonus! Tips for drawing a scene of animation from an animation director
Outro: Congratulations on Finishing the Class!
- In closing: Qmeng’s closing thoughts
- Bonus! Tips for growing on your own
I am Qmeng, a visual storyteller.
I am a workaholic and artist Qmeng who has been working nonstop right after graduating from high school.
Since 17, I have been a teacher and have been active in various fields including animation, illustrations, and games. Now I am mainly focused on animation!
I started animation because I wanted to draw my creative characters and bring them to life, but before I knew it, it became my new job.
Every Saturday, Sunday and Monday I hold classes for aspiring artists. I have been teaching this class for a little over 4 years. Since I was a middle school student, I seemed to like to open a communication window to share knowledge and feedback with new people. That's why I think seriously as an instructor.
Since I think the artist's values and self-formation are the most important, I am conducting classes mainly to have conversations and discussions with students. So Class101 is a fresh challenge for me.
Although I am an artist who is constantly studying myself, I would like to share with you the creative theories I have accumulated during my work.
See you in class!
- People who want to make your own characters more attractive and three-dimensional
- People who are interested in character design or concept design
- People who are interested in creative jobs that need to write stories such as webtoon writers
- People who frequently play TRPGs or like anime
- People who want to learn a new, enriching hobby
- This class uses Adobe Photoshop CC/CS
- Adobe Photoshop is a subscription-based paid software
- To take this class, you need to have access to Adobe Photoshop
- The class will fully cover how to use and apply the program
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
You need to have your own Adobe Lightroom to take the class. For more information, please visit adobe.com
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase. Please check your inbox or spam!
Q. Do you really need Photoshop? Could I use Clip Studio or Procreate?
A. In the case of Clip Studio, I use a lot of custom brushes from Photoshop when I do this kind of planning and creative work. Crucially, the clip feels a lot like the 'blurring' tool I use most when drawing. Even if it seems like a small flaw, it is really .. really important .. I will explain the other unique characteristics of Photoshop in the lecture! In the case of Procreate, I use a lot of shortcuts when drawing, so I tend to work quickly and efficiently. Procreate has a limited number of shortcuts or functions that I can use due to the characteristics of the iPad tool, so I only use it when I want to freely doodle or make rough sketches.
Therefore, even if you use other software, you can use it if you do not have any trouble following along, but please be aware that the curriculum covers the functional aspects of Photoshop.
Q. I’m new to digital drawing. Can I take the class?
A. Even if you only understand the basic terms such as brightness and saturation, you can follow along. During the lecture, I will carefully organize new terms and concepts that may be difficult for beginners and make them easier to learn!
Q. I have no solid taste and lack of creativity so I don't know if I can follow the class.
A. As we grew up, we had already grown up with media; movies, images, cartoons, funny pictures. All the visuals you've seen can be inspirational, but people don't know how to catch that inspiration, so they think it's simply because they 'lack creativity.'
Creation is not necessarily special and does not have to be more unique than others. We will do this brainstorming in Chapter 2 of the curriculum. You don't have to worry!
Q. I don't know what I can get from this class just by your explanation.
A. I explained that this is a class for those who like to create characters and create a worldview, but in fact, the things I will tell you are deeper.
For those who dream of art as a second job: Planning is also used in webtoons, animations, movies or dramas. If you are interested in these activities, you may be able to dream of a second job with interest in this field through classes. Or even if you leave with art as a hobby, it would be a great gift to have a different perspective.
For those who are looking to become an artist: It is a very fast-paced time. Even if you upload a picture, it will be buried in other people's drawings. Now showing us how exciting and beautiful your story is is more important than drawing well. For aspiring people, it may be said that it is now easier to debut as an artist, but it also means that you should make more captivating works. I will tell you how to express from the first impression of the work to the inner look at your deep world.
For those who want to take the class for self-development: Is there a fun self-development activity as much as creating a mysterious and unique world? The deeper the world, the deeper you can look into the person's mind. Someone's fantasy world is the person's inner world, and when you make your world it will be like self-reflection. At that time, I used to comfort myself and feel a kind of liberation through my worlds, stories, and characters I created at that time. I hope that it will be the same way for you.