1. Learn at your own pace in this 20 week online course.
2. Artistic guidance & feedback from the artist herself.
3. Engaged & supportive community of peers to exchange feedback.
4. English subtitles (Original audio in Korean).
5. Enroll now to start learning right away!
1. Learn at your own pace in this 20 week online course.
Dark Emotions expressed through illustration
Have you ever felt like you're in a whirlwind of feelings of emotion?
Good morning. I’m Siwoo, an illustrator that captures emotions. I'm working on shaping emotions that have no form according to my taste and painting them. If you want to draw emotions that you cannot express in words, the way you want, in an illustration, you will be able to create an illustration of your own.
Tell your own story, step by step
Many people are wondering where I usually get my inspiration from, how I got to where I am, and how I work. Through Class101, I want to tell you all about my work process and various tips for drawing.
Drawing illustrations using Clip Studio
In this class, we will draw illustrations using the various functions of Clip Studio. You can download various brushes and materials to make it easier to complete the illustration you want to express. Learn about the basics of Clip Studio as well as the tools and shortcuts you will use frequently!
The basics of character illustration! Drawing human bodies
In order to draw a character, you need to know the structure of the human body, right? In my class, you will learn to draw the upper body, the basics of the basics. I’ll show you how to understand the structure of people simply and draw the human body more easily.
Which part of the human body is most often drawn in character illustrations? It's the hands and face. It is the most direct and effective way to express emotions. Learn how to draw hands and faces in various compositions and angles so that you can draw your character in any pose
Making an attractive character, the star of your illustrations
Characters are an effective means of expressing emotions, and are the mediums that leave the biggest impression in the atmosphere of your illustrations. So, in the illustrations where a character appears, it is important to make sure your characters catch the eyes.
The character or mood of the character varies depending on the eyes, nose, and mouth, but you need to know your own taste so you can create a character with fun. After learning the characteristics of soft characters and sharp characters, you can express with your own taste and create your own character.
Light and color according to the mood
A warm sunset sky, A hot flame, and moonlight coming through the window at dawn. Depending on the situation, the light and colors change, and the atmosphere changes significantly. Proper use of light and color will enrich the picture and give it depth. Learn about light and color and how to combine colors according to your mood.
Express emotions using keyword
Many of you may not be able to understand what kind of process it takes to embody a formless emotion and move it to an illustration. From knowing what you want to express, by sharing emotions with rough keywords, to how to flesh out a story, I will tell you my process. I will draw an illustration with my own emotions.
The small details are a small and trivial part, so it's easy to miss, but if you care about these parts, you can not only enhance the depth of the character, but also improve the quality of your illustration. The most important parts are the hair and eyes. Here are some tips that will make a small but big difference, such as expressing hair and how to create captivating eyes!
Draw the same characters at different times and places
Even though I didn't major in art, and learn from professionals about manga or anime, I got to where I was because I enjoyed how drawing helped me express my emotions. Since I have also learned how to draw illustrations by myself, I would like to share my journey with those who are starting painting alone. :)
Emotions shown through illustration.
Digital drawing with Siwoo.
Step 01 : The Basics of Clip Studio
We will be using Clip Studio to create character illustrations. Learn about the basic functions and tools of Clip Studio and how to organize your workspace.
Step 02 : Different Coloring Techniques
Learn about coloring both with and without gradation, creating both illustrations with a clear boundary between light and shadow, and illustrations that soften the contrast.
Step 03 : Drawing Characters
I will help you draw graceful characters from the rough draft to finished sketches. Learn to shape the human body and draw the hands, feet, and face at various angles.
Step 04 : Drawing in Your Own Style
A character that you create will best contain the emotions that you want to express. Learn the characteristics of soft & sharp characters and draw characters according to your own tastes.
Step 05 : Color Combinations
There are two main things to consider when using color. Learn about the 3 elements of color, choose colors according to the atmosphere, and how to harmoniously combine them.
Step 06 : Completing an Illustration
Now it’s time to create an illustration of your feelings from the conception to coloring. By the end of the class, you’ll be able to capture any dark emotion through illustration.
Welcome to Siwoo’s Digital Drawing Class
- Meet Siwoo: illustrator, artist, and your instructor
- Introducing the class: Drawing an illustrations full of emotion
- How to install Clip Studio and the Wacom driver
01. Setting Up Clip Studio
- Setting up your work screen
- Setting up shortcuts for frequently-used shortcuts
- Installing and using brushes
- Using and understanding layers
02. Drawing the Human Body
- Understanding the human body using figure structures
- How to draw hands from various angles
- How to draw faces from various angles
- How to draw faces with various facial expressions
03. Creating an Attractive Character
- The features of a soft character
- The features of a cold character
- How to create a character in your own style
04. The Basics of Coloring and Light
- Understanding the principles of light and shadow
- The three elements of color, and using color combinations
- How to use color combinations based on moods
05. Bringing your Character to Life Using Light
- Coloring without gradation - From a rough draft to sketch
- Coloring without gradation - Coloring
- Soft coloring - From a rough draft to sketch
- Soft coloring - Coloring
06. Using Keywords to Express Emotion
- The process of expressing emotions in pictures
- Documenting stories with storytelling
- Envisioning creative illustrations
07. Enhancing Quality with Delicate Expressions
- Expressing smooth skin
- Expressing eyes that portray an atmosphere
- Expressing natural-looking hair
- Adding finishing touches and editing
Outro: Congratulations on finishing the class!
In closing: Now draw your own story
Hello, I’m Siwoo, an illustrator and your instructor.
I am working on melting dark emotions without form into pictures.
Since I was a middle school student, I liked to express my thoughts in pictures, and whenever I was depressed after going to college, drawing was the medium in which I expressed my feelings. A lot of people who looked at the illustrations of my emotions told me that they feel empathy and comfort from looking at my drawings. Beyond providing you with comfort through paintings, I would guide you so that you can also put your emotions into works of art.
- People who like illustrations with a lingering atmosphere
- People who want to melt their emotions or stories into a picture
- People who want to draw a character in your own taste
- People who want to learn to draw using a tablet and Clip Studio
- People who want to learn a new, enriching hobby
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
You need to have your own Clip Studio Paint to take the class. For more information, please visit clipstudio.net
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase.
Q.Do I need to have a tablet and Clip Studio to take classes?
A. I will use the tablet and Clip Studio to teach each lecture, so if you use other programs, you miss out on some features and lessons. If you are good at other programs, I think there will be no big issue when following the class, but please prepare Clip Studio if at all possible! In the case of the iPad, there is a 6-month free trial of Clip Studio, and a 30-day clip studio trial experience on the PC, so it might be a good idea to try it out!
Q. What tablet and version of Clip Studio do you use?
A. The tablet you are using is Wacom Intuos CTH-490, and the program I use is Clip Studio EX. You don't have to use the same tablet model and program, so just prepare the model and version you think is right for you!