1. Learn at your own pace in this 20-week online course.
2. Artistic guidance & feedback from the artist himself.
3. Engaged & supportive community of peers to exchange feedback.
4. English subtitles (Original audio in Korean).
5. Enroll now to start learning right away!
Draw Urban Sketches Like An Architect
Buy One, Get One
We are offering this chance only to the first 100 classmates. Enjoy the promotion before it’s too late.
1. Learn at your own pace in this 20-week online course.
See for yourself to the improvements our classmates have made in this course!
262 students enrolled and 98% said they were satisfied with this course.
When I got the package, I excitedly drew this picture, but it was harder than I thought so I was taken aback. Even though I only drew from a photo, it was so much fun!
This time, I drew by looking at the sketch rather than the picture. I'm looking forward to seeing how my painting will change after I finish the course. I hope to learn a lot and I will practice hard!
Step 01 : The Expression of Hatching Lines With a Pen
Learn hatching lines that maximize artistry by expressing brightness, texture, and three-dimensionality.
Step 02 : Architectural Wire Frame Techniques
Learn to complete drawings as if it were being constructed with wire frame techniques that reflect the structure.
Step 03 : Understanding Three-Dimensional Space Perspective
By using and understanding three-dimensional perspective, a balanced picture is completed.
Step 04 : Understanding the Body Shape and Behavior of a Person
Learn how to Understand and creatively express your body's behavior, gender characteristics.
Step 05 : How to Draw Road and Alleys
Learn how to depict cars, trees, etc. and how to express them according to their angle.
Step 06 : Watercolors and Bold Brush-Touch
Learn how to use brushes boldly and without fear
Step 07 : Watercolor Techniques for Beginners
Let's learn how to color and understand it’s okay not to be precise
What is Urban Sketching?
Urban sketching is the art of documenting the scenes you encounter in everyday life. Although the term “urban” refers to big cities and metropolises, urban sketching can be done anywhere, from your trip to the beach to your backyard.
Why Urban Sketching?
Why urban sketching? A photo will suffice… right? No! While a photo also captures the same scenes, with urban sketching, you can add your own artistic touch. Everyone views the world with different eyes. Urban sketching is the best way to show the world how you view everything around you!
Interested? Here’s What You’ll Learn
How to fully utilize a pen
Did you know there’s a special way you’re supposed to hold a pen? Learn how to properly grasp the pen, and start with the basics of drawing lines and controlling pressure. The seemingly complex techniques are actually not that difficult! Sketch Forum will help you build a strong foundation for pen drawing.
What are hatching lines?
Hatching lines are often used to depict an appearance of a shadow. Lines are drawn close together and it can also create textures and tones. In engineering, hatching lines also indicate different materials.
In this class, Sketch Forum will teach you how to use hatching lines to express various shapes, textures, and three-dimensional effects. Completed urban sketches are composed of numerous hatch lines that convey atmosphere. Grasp the fundamentals of using hatching lines, and apply it to your urban sketch drawings!
Starting with a skeleton sketch
Instructor will systematically teach you how to understand, then apply, perspective and three-dimensionality, and the wireframe technique to form the structure of your urban sketches as if you were building a skeleton. After learning this, you will never be lost in the world of urban sketching.
Drawing people, trees, and cars
Wouldn't it be awkward if there were no people walking around, trees on the streets, or cars moving along the roads around buildings that were well drawn with pen? Also, if the movement of figures, the grain of the leaves, the angles of the car are poorly expressed, it would put all your hard work to waste.
Let's learn in detail how to understand and redefine the shapes and movements of a person, how to draw trees of various shapes and sizes, and how to view and draw a car from different angles, along with tips to drawing more of the elements that will make up your urban sketches.
Coloring doesn’t have to be precise.
Don’t worry about making mistakes or coloring over lines. Color is meant to be free. Sketch Forum will show you how to let go of your fears with coloring and fill your beautiful urban sketches with color.
Beautiful colors aren’t only expressed through difficult techniques. Learn painting techniques using watercolors that even beginners can master. Color the way you want and complete your own urban sketches.
Present the world as you see it, with Sketch Forum.
Let’s get ready for classes with the instructor
- Introducing the course
- Meet Sketch Forum Park Gwang Hee: illustrator, architect, and your instructor
- Let’s look at the materials needed for this course
01. Urban Sketch Basics
- What is a sketch?
- Key elements for good sketches
- Basic drawings and practice
02. Key Elements of Urban Sketch
- Let’s learn more about the shape and behavior of a person and draw with sophistication
- How to draw various types of trees with detail
- How to draw road and alley scenes with realistic qualities
03. Perspective and Perspective View
- Let’s learn the principles of three dimensions and perspective
- Easy ways to learn and apply perspective
04. Principles for More Balanced Urban Sketch Drawings
- How to sketch with the wire frame technique
- Let’s learn about the structure of buildings and try a sketch
- Learn about the benefits of drawing lines without hesitation
05. Adding to Artistry with Hatching Lines
- Practicing the pattern of hatching lines
- Let’s try drawing using hatching lines
- How to add expression using hatching lines
- Let’s apply hatching lines to urban sketch drawings
06. Completing the Sketch with Watercolors
- Let’s begin with the bold brush technique
- How to complete watercolors for beginners
- Let’s draw a landscape watercolors with images
07. Challenging sketches
- Let’s try drawing edges with a thick pen - Yeongdeok Beach in Gyeongbuk
- Let’s try drawing a simple sketch of a distant foreground - Lake Hallstatt, Austria
- Lets try drawing based on lost point - Insadong Alley
- Let’s try drawing scenery with dynamic structures - Chuncheon Gongjicheon and Ethiopia Cafe
- Congratulations on completing the course!
- From now on, draw like an architect and add emotion
Illustrator Sketch Forum
Hello! I am Sketch Forum! My name is Park Gwang Hee, an architect and your instructor! I majored in architecture, and I have been working in architectural design and interior architecture for a long time. I've done countless sketches, and I've published books on various projects. I have also learned and experienced art related practice to increase my artistic ability.
Based on the abundant knowledge I’ve accumulated through my experience with architecture and space design, I would like to introduce urban sketching to my students. I will always do my best to those who trust me and learn.
- People who like to travel and paint and want to keep their memories in nice sketches
- People who want to systematically learn, from the basic techniques, of pen drawing
- People who want to draw a picture, but don't know how to start.
- People who want to freely sketch what is in front of them into a picture
Materials are picked & used by the artist.
We've prepared everything you need to begin the class.
- Fabriano Accademia Drawing Paper, 200gsm, A4.2.
- Artmang Illustration Pad 260gsm, A4.3.
- Ruvens Water brush 4.
- Staedtler pigment liner 0.5, 0.3, 0.1mm 5.
- Sakura Koi Water colors 36
- Babara 30R Watercolor brush, round size 10, 18.7.
- Monami permanent marker.
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
Super Early Bird Offer
Once we pass the release date, we will no longer offered the class at "Super Early Bird". The rate will be raised after the date, right now is the cheapest deal you can get.
Unfortunately, Paypal does not allow installments yet. (We're currently working on introducing installment payments.)
If you have purchased the “All-in-one package,” we will ship your package within the next 2 business days & it may take less than 2 weeks to get the package. We will also send you a tracking number after we send the package. Due to the duration of delivery, your access will be extended to 22 weeks.
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase.
Q. How much can an introductory or beginner improve in urban sketching if he or she takes this class?
A. First of all, your will and passion are the most important things when learning. If you practice and approach with passion, I think you will be able to express and use what you have learned in this class. It is important to learn about Urban Sketch from the beginning, but I am sure that after finishing, you will be able to !sketch well
Q. How does this class differentiate itself from other classes?
A. First of all, Urban Sketch is a three-dimensional representation of perspective and three-dimensional space. You can learn about the composition (angle, view) and draw with accuracy. Second, it's a technique that deals with lines that are the life of sketches, so you can draw pictures freely. Finally, we will help develop the power of artistry in the extreme by using hatching lines, the last king of sketches and a great beauty of expression. You can think of it as teaching you techniques that you haven't learned systematically.
Q. What do you need to learn about Urban Skits?
A. My class doesn't need any special and expensive tools and materials. Once you’ve mastered the basics of expensive tools and materials, you should buy them individually and try them out. By default, you need a pen for sketching. We recommend a pigment liner, a unicolor micro pen, or a Morning Glory Promaha pen. Other than that, you only need to prepare a brush, an illustration pad for drafting, and a watercolor paper from Fabriano Academy. Class 101 has prepared a package that contains all the necessary materials for the course.