1. Go at your own pace in this 32-week online course
2. Artistic guidance & pointers from the instructor
3. Supportive peer community exchanging feedback
4. Class is in production. Start learning after Dec, 30th
1. Go at your own pace in this 32-week online course
Experience the Beauty of Architecture Drawing
Architecture Drawing using Ink with
Artist Stephen Travers
Do you dream of combining your love of drawing and architecture in compelling, monochromatic artworks? Do you want to capture the essence of architectural styles and locations from reference photos? Are you interested in exploring the possibilities, joys and challenges of this through a pencil outline over which ink line and tone is applied? This course will show you how to find a good starting point when confronted with the mass of detail in a grand architectural structure---and then how to move through the detail in a way which keeps the focus on the structure as a whole.
Most importantly, this course is about learning how to think when we draw: how to observe the details we need to see; how to reference from what we've already drawn; choosing what to emphasize; how to create the visual effect we want; and knowing when not to follow the photo.
Step 1: Understanding What Creates Your Own Personal Drawing Style
In this class, you won’t learn just to draw copies of my drawings. I will teach you how I think when I draw, for you to use in creating your own artworks and in developing your own drawing style.
Step 2: All the Tools in My Toolbox
I will share with you the many techniques, processes and ways to understand and draw the architectural landscape I have developed, and use in my own work. I will help you see how they each weave together as you progress your drawing from start to finish
Step 3: The ‘Photo - Pencil – Ink – Tone’ Progression
I will show you how each of these stages lays the foundation for the next. Every step will demand creative and artistic choices and actions, but they will each contribute to the visual impact of your finished drawing.
Step 4: Handling Detail and Complexity without Being Overwhelmed or Cluttered
So often we love architectural scenes for their detail. I will show you my approach of drawing the effect of the detail, rather than all the detail itself. We will learn to use detail to enhance the scene, not to overwhelm it.
Step 5: Confidence to Try!
At first, I never drew people or cars in my street scenes, because they were ‘too hard’. I never tried to draw interior scenes, because I ‘wasn’t good enough’. I will do my best to teach you that these thoughts are not true, and if we try, we will improve. Every one of us.
- Creating Your Personal Drawing Style
- Meet Stephen Travers
- Introduction To Materials
Chapter 1: A Great Subject For a Great Drawing
- Balanced Composition
- Visual Drama
Chapter 2: Technical Tools & Tips For Your Drawing
- Understanding basic perspective
- Perspective & curves
- Drawing with perspective
- Seeing the basic shapes
- Using s grid
- Creating a sense of depth
Chapter 3: The Pencil Underdrawing
- The start
Chapter 4: The Ink Linework
- Creating surface 3D
- Drawing the effect of the detail - Exterior
- Drawing the effect of the detail - Interior
- Troublesome subjects: Statues & Balustrades
- Major ink lines & Dealing with mistakes
- Inking the details - Alignment
Chapter 5: The Support Acts
- Non-architectural objects: People, Trees, Cars
- Where buildings touch the ground
Chapter 6: Time For Tone
- Mastering The Markers
- Shade, Shadow, & Local Colour: The Difference
- Analysing Tonal Range
- Daylight: Frontlit & Backlit
- Interior & Night Lighting
- Applying Tone
Chapter 7: Bringing It All Together
- From photo to pencil
- From ink line to tone
- Making the most of what you've learnt
- Photographing your drawing
1. Congratulations on Completing the Course
About the Instructor
Artist, Stephen Travers (Photo Credit to Zoe Elkington)
I am Stephen Travers, currently a full-time artist from Australia. I have done many things in my work life, from high school teaching, to running businesses and writing reports for government. Twelve years ago I started my art career painting Australian trees and flowers in oil paint. Drawing architecture has been a more recent and enthusiastic development. As a university trained teacher, I really enjoy helping people understand the process of drawing and applying it to their own unique drawing style. My experience as a drawing tutor with individual students has helped me understand the issues which are commonly faced when drawing architecture and have helped shape this course content. I have received many requests for an online course, and so I am glad to have this opportunity now.
Q: How did you first start doing what you do?
My art life has been mostly oil painting, but two overseas trips provided the chance to do a bit of street location sketching. When I got home after the second trip, I didn't want to stop drawing Paris, so I began to use my trip photos as references. The response I received from my Instagram followers was a big encouragement to pursue this subject area more and more. As my experience grew, I found myself wanting to try things which at first I had thought too difficult. I progressed from pencil to ink lines, and finally to using ink tone as well. I had so many requests for tutoring that I began to teach students from around the world.
1. Arttec Como Sketch Pad 210g / A3
2. Copic Sketch Marker Neutral Grey / N1, N2, N3, N4, N5, N6
3. Faber-Castell Dust Free Eraser
4. Staedtler Mars Lumograph Pencil
5. Copic Multi liner SP / 0.2
6. Copic Multi liner Black / 0.1, 0.3
7. Masking tape
8. 30cm Ruler
- People who love to illustrate architectural landscapes & buildings
- People who love ink drawing
- People who love to travel around the world and want to record their favorite places with drawings
- People who want to learn how to add delicate details in ink drawing
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 32 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
Super Early Bird Offer
Once we pass the release date, we will no longer offered the class at "Super Early Bird". The rate will be raised after the date, right now is the cheapest deal you can get.
We will send you the package before the release date(December 30th), if you have purchased the All-in-one package.
Class videos will be available by December 30th. We will notify you via email regarding how to access to the class videos on the release date.