1. Learn at your own pace in this 20-week online course.
2. Artistic guidance & feedback from the artist herself.
3. Engaged & supportive community of peers to exchange feedback.
4. English subtitles (Original audio in Korean).
5. Enroll now to start learning right away!
1. Learn at your own pace in this 20-week online course.
Hello! I'm Unoh, a YouTube creator & your instructor.
I mainly draw characters in my unique style and warm atmosphere, and I often show off my favorite anime or game character fan art. Here’s one I did of a popular anime movie, “Your Name.”
I saw a lot of comments from people watching my videos telling me that they would like to try character drawing. So, I want to cover everything about SD character drawing that anyone can easily follow!
Character illustrations that anyone can create
If you had the courage to draw a picture, and you are disappointed because it is not the same as the object, try drawing the SD character! With bold omission and exaggeration, you can liven up and increase cuteness. Even if it's your first time, you can do it enough. Then, shall we start together?
What is an SD character?
SD stands for 'Super Deformed', and 'Deforme' is a painting technique that expresses by applying transformation, reduction, and distortion without realistically depicting the object. I usually emphasize the head rather than the actual human body proportions and highlight unique features. I’ll show you how you can identify the unique characteristics you can use to create your characters.
An easy start for beginners
I majored in art, but I felt it was really difficult to paint the human body. So I started drawing characters, and I found that I could draw them better than realistic drawings! It's one of the easiest styles to get started in when drawing people.
I’ll teach you to draw with a tablet and photoshop. Photoshop is particularly convenient because it allows you to make various corrections, so you can easily increase the quality of the picture!
I will tell you everything I use, from my usual interface settings to my favorite brush settings. And if you are interested in SD characters, the main theme of the class, you can use other programs or devices, and you will enjoy it with a similar effect. :)
Drawing Cute Characters
Let's learn the basic proportions of character drawing and learn the overall framework. You don't need knowledge about human anatomy! I will show you the basics of face and body proportions, various expressions, and hands and feet. After sketching, I will teach you how to clean up your lines, then add color, clothes, and other smaller details to complete your drawing!
Transforming Real People into Characters
Do you want to draw a character from your favorite game or cartoon, a celebrity or someone around you as a character? To do this, you first need to closely observe and analyze your subject. Choose photos of the people I want to draw, and then I will help you draw out the unique characteristics of the people. I will tell you how to choose the colors that help show personality and accessories you can decorate your characters with!
Expressing Light and Shadow
The difficulty that many people encounter when drawing is the use of contrast, so I’ll teach you an easy way to learn the basics of light and shadow. Then, I’ll help you divide the illustration into zones to easily portray contrast. I'll give you my own tips to help everyone follow.
Adding a Background
Once you master drawing characters, I’ll show you how to complete a single illustration with a background that matches the character. You’ll be able to express your favorite moments and space and record the warm feelings of that time with illustrations.
Create your own character family.
Digital drawing with Unoh.
Step 01 : The Structure of SD Characters
To create your own characters in the chibi style, you must know about the proportions and structure. Learn how to draw the body of the characters including the face, body, hands, and feet.
Step 02 : Drawing Neatly
The rough draft will probably look a bit messy. I’ll show you how to rearrange your sketch into clean, neat lines.
Step 03 : Expressing Light and Shadow
Saturation will help you control the atmosphere of your character’s scene. Learn how to express the lights and environment surrounding your
Step 04 : Drawing Characters Using Emphasis
All SD characters, like people, have at least one special feature that distinguishes them from other characters. Learn how to look at photos or characters and grasp features to express them as SD characters.
Step 05 : Drawing in a Background
The background will help give your character a story. I’ll show you how you can visualize and form a background around your character that captures the character’s personality.
Step 06 : Using Photoshop and a Tablet to Draw
The main tools we’ll use in this class are Adobe Photoshop and a Wacom Tablet. Learn the basic functions of Photoshop and Wacom Tablets and build a strong foundation.
Welcome to Unoh’s Digital Drawing Class
- Introducing the class: Drawing anime characters on Photoshop
- Meet Unoh: illustrator, artist, and your instructor
- Things to prepare before we start
- Setting up your tablet and photoshop
01. Understanding Photoshop
- Setting up your workspace
- Using the various tools and shortcuts
- Exploring the brushes and brush tools
02. Drawing SD (Chibi) Faces
- What is an SD character?
- Understanding the structure of SD faces
- How to draw SD eyes
- How to draw various hairstyles
- How to draw various facial expressions
03. Drawing SD Figures
- Understanding the structure of SD figures
- How to draw graceful hands and feet
- How to express emotion using poses
04. Creating Your Character
- How to draw different types of clothes
- How to draw different types of shoes
- How to draw different types of accessories
- How to draw various objects to place in the background
05. Sketching and Drawing
- Getting a rough sketch and replacing rough lines with cleaner ones
- Controlling pressure with lines to add quality
- Creating spaces to fill with color
06. Coloring Your Character
- Changing saturation based on color
- Changing saturation based on light and the background
- Coloring the objects and background
07. For a Higher Quality
- Adding color to your guiding lines
- How to express reflected light
- How to detail saturation based on each section
- Skills that will help you with adding details
08. Creating Your Own Character
- Determining and drawing a person’s defining characteristics
- How to create your own character
- Drawing and finishing a scene using your character
Outro: Congratulations on Finishing the Class!
In closing: Create your own character family
Drawing a character is easy, isn't it?
Hello, I’m Unoh, a YouTube creator. I had wanted to build a class that will help those who like to draw, draw their own character, and give useful tips I’ve discovered to all of you who want to draw your own. I would like to create a class that many people find useful and fun :)
- People who want to design their own SD (Chibi) character
- People who want to easily learn how to draw figures
- People who want to draw cute objects and characters
- People who usually like anime or game characters
- People who want to learn a new, enriching hobby
- This class uses Adobe Photoshop CC/CS
- Adobe Photoshop is a subscription-based paid software
- To take this class, you need to have access to Adobe Photoshop
- The class will fully cover how to use and apply the program
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 32 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
You need to have your own Adobe Lightroom to take the class. For more information, please visit adobe.com
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase. Please check your inbox or spam!
Q. I’m new to art and digital drawing. Can I still follow along?
A. Yes, it is possible! SD (Chibi) characters are really easy to draw. I will show you how to draw various objects and backgrounds, as well as basic face to body ratios, so anyone can adapt quickly.
Q.Can I use my iPad or other device without a tablet?
A. The overall class curriculum is centered around SD (Chibi) characters. This is to learn basic character structure and how to add contrast, so it can be applied to any device, but you can't use the tips that I teach on a tablet.
Q. Can I use other programs besides Photoshop?
A. Classes are mainly conducted using Photoshop, but if you are familiar with other drawing programs, you should be able to follow along. However, I can't tell you how to use the functions of Photoshop on other programs, so I'd recommend Photoshop if possible!